Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Seems like a cumbersome system that could easily let students slip though the cracks. Many students won't stick around through several cycles if they have personal or financial problems. How does your system handle these situations?

A student that chooses to drop our program is advised to speak with an instructor from that program and/or current or previous students of the program. This will allow the student to be fully informed before making a decision.

We have a process where the student has to speak with a member of student services before withdrawing,every effort is made to acconidate their issues.

As an instructor, I am responsible for tracking attendance every day. If a student reaches a certain amount of time, I fill out a form, meet with the student, have the student sign off, then give the form to my manager. Disregarding all the beauracracy involved, this proves to be an effective tool most of the time. It gives me an opportunity to let the student know that - hey, I couldn't help but notice you have missed a significant amount of class time, what's going on.......This oftentimes leads to a connection with the student, and sometimes just that simple gesture of - hey I care about you ceases the problem. On the other hand, sometimes it uncovers issues that are way beyond my pay grade, at which point, I will refer than to the required department, sometimes initiating the contact myself.

Attendance is critical to success. The school I was associated with had a strict attendance policy; if you exceeded the allowed time, you had to re-take the course. There were a few exceptions for students who had clear medical documentation and could demonstrate course proficiency.

The students knew we were serious and that it was expensive, in both money and time, to skip class.

make every day exciting, and focused so the sutdents are involved.

But doesn't that make it easy for them to just drop out ,,knowing they can come back when ever it's good for them they are in the real world isns't responsabilty part of it limeting the time to return mybe but as we all know and I to understand LIFE happens how many things would you do or have done different

always stay involved when a student is falling back in any area before it is too late for them talk about whats going on and what can be done to fix the issues.

To me just the word INTERVENTION puts undo stress onto people At our campus it might start with a student / instructor over a student life changing situtation I personaly had a student a couple of weeks ago drop out to fix (change) his transmition on the weekend he dropped on tuesday I spoke to the student about having his car fix in the school, he also worked at a garage he also stated he just wanted to work more to gain on some expences all his explaininig was real. I sent him down to student services to see if his schedual could be changed also down to our EM's office to speak to one of them. all making no dfference to the student he asked me why did I care what he did.
I told him not to keep droping out when things get tough get a ride fix the trans on the weekend and all as always will find it's own path out of the woods it seems when they (the student) has to make more than one life dissision they want to stop the world from turning so they can finish one thought and pick one path to take right or wrong. the student ended up droping out or taking a break and promised to be back

Our institution offers tutoring, Mentoring, and a food pantry for students in need.

Interventions must be matched to take advantage of the proposed sine wave associated with the socio-economic fluctuations as witnessed in most demographics.

At my institution, we have advisign forms that we issue to the students which gives the instructor one on one time with the students so that a plan can be put together for student success.

Does a student have more than one person who handles the advising function? Is each instructor empowered to take this role?

i think that is a great idea and that would work for me

WE ARE ALWAYS SHARING INFORMATION AND IMPLEMENTING BETTER PRACTICES IN ORDER TO KEEP STUDENTS INTERESTED AND CHALLENGED.

If a student is identified to be struggling academically an instructor may suggest that the student sign up for our in house student tutor program. We have students that are excelling, tutor the students that are struggling. It costs the struggling student no money.

this sound like agreat idea, sometimes the people that are supposed to help are busy or the students dont trust them!! a lot of times they've tried to talk to the staff and didn't feel the people cared. so this might work!!!.

We remind the students offten about there main goal when they started school. we let them know where they can be when they finish school.

We as education managers are assighned a block of students that we will be in constant contact with as they proceed through their courses. We assist them if they are having any issues with grades and attendance or any other situations that they might have. This should create a relationship between staff and students to buld that trust.

What we are instructued to do is send them directly to the financial aid dept

Sign In to comment