Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The vanishing student

Anytime a student comes to a staff member and says they have to quit, we feel we are half way home in our ability to save them. A student who says they must quit is really saying "I really don't want to quit. Could you help me find a way to stay?" I am concerned with finding someway to intervene with those students who simply vanish without saying anything to anyone. Does anyone have some techniques that they have found helpful in reaching out to these students?

That was a big problem for us at Bradley Academy too. Although it is impossible to save every student and unreasonable to think that each student will share their problems, we determined that early intervention was an important element in reducing attrition. We developed a web based system of asking students what was happening in their lives on a weekly basis. We learned that for many students it was easier to “talk” to a computer than it was to seek out a staff member who might be able to help them solve the problem they were facing.

Second Submittal - I submitted the first copy of this reply last Wednesday evening (12/01), as of today (12/06) it has not appeared in the forum. In case you did not receive the first copy, I am re-submitting my reply.

One way we try to intervene with students who simply vanish without saying anything to anyone is to carefully monitor attendance. Our institution's policy is have the instructor call the student after an absence if the student has not made prior arrangements with them or notified them the day of the absence by phone or e-mail as to why they are not in school. This serves several purposes: first, we are training students for the job market and this teaches them responsibility in notifying their employer (in this case their instructor) if they are going to miss work. Calling the student when we don't hear from them shows our level of commitment to the student and that we care that they were not in class. It also gives the instructor the opportunity to offer encouragement and remind the student of upcoming assignments, test, etc. But of most importance is the opportunity it gives us to intervene with the student that is overwhelmed or having problems before they become unmanageable. Also, it is often easier for the student to admit to someone over the phone that they are overwhelmed or having difficulties then it is for them to do it in person. The instructor notifies the program director if they feel further action needs to be taken with the student.

We collect six references from each student when he or she begins school with us as an institutional policy. When we do have a student who vanishes, we will call the references for help locating the students. Although this may or may not result in the student staying in school, we do find success in reaching the student. From there, we do what we can to assist with issues.

Interesting approach, Carol. Who is responsible for making these calls? Are the results part of their performance review?

Making calls after a student misses class can be very effective if you have instructors and/or staff who follow through. How do you monitor activity to assure that the calls are being made, Jamie?

Either a Student Services Administrator or the student's Admission's Rep will make the calls. It is not part of a performance review, just a tool we use. (These lists are also used by Accounting if a teminated student is not paying bills to the school)

I agree with being proactive with a student absence, sometimes an early contact can resolve an issue and prevent a prolong absence with even greater diificulty for return.

Being proactive is indeed a good practice, Christine. How do you manage that procedure? Who is responsible? How do they communicate their findings with other staff and faculty?

I agree having alternated contacts, will assist you in locating a student. I recommend getting girlfriend, wives, best friends, cousins, grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc. Its helps.

What do you do with these alternative contacts, Moszetta?

Calling the students early reinforces our committment. We also send letters out to students who can't be reached by phone. I try to make them as personal as I can and always include options that may be available for students.

Tammy, have you thought about having a classmate call?

Students sometimes fear that their personal problems cannot be addressed in school. Students let their personal problems directly influence their direction. Usually they respond by becoming a vanishing student. We need to make it known to them during orientation that being absent from school does not solve their problems, but that they need to be in school to help get those problems resolved. Instructors need to indicate to students from time to time that if there is a problem that is preventing them from attending classes, they need to let the school or instructor know.

The students of today are definitely less afraid of talking to computers than approaching a staff member at college. After all, we are dealing with a generation who are more so accustomed to talking to their friends by e-mail, text messaging, and cell phones than by actually conversing to someone on a one to one basis. Doesn't it make sense to communicate with them in their own comfort zone? Therefore, students should have access to an e-mail address where they can contact the school and let the school know why they're not attending classes. This method is also deemed to be very non-threatening. Students can probably communicate their problems better and let us help them with the necessary referrals.

There should be one person at the college which accepts these e-mails or even text messaging in which the student can ask questions as how to handle a certain situation. Whether they are problems at home or school. This would be a way of letting students vent their concerns without actually cornering them into an immediate response. I believe this is one way we can allow continuous communications that may stop some of the attrition.

On point, Joseph. Retention improvement requires dealing with the entire student and can't be limited to only academic support. Students have to get past the personal issues before they can even attend classes.

The student that vanishes without saying anything to anyone,is really the student pleading for attention. This student must be approached by the instructor. Ask what he/she found interesting in class today, or ask if they know the name of the student sitting beside them. Any question is good, if it will start conversation that can be continued each day as this student is leaving class.

Julie, I'm uncomfortable with the phrase “pleading for attention”. In my experience, there are many reasons students don't come to class. While attention may be one of them, frequently the students are more focused on coping with outside issues. In other cases, they simply find the class to be uninspiring or irrelevant. I do agree that it is important to engage the student to get them back on track.

One of the techniques that I use during new student orientation is to introduce myself to them. I tell them a brief history of myself.

Raised in the inner city in a housing project. High school drop out at 16, youthful offender at 15. Presently I am the holder of a PhD. I came from where they do, I have been where they are and I can understand what they are going through. This lets them know that I too am a human being, with a past, and not just a cold administrator. I wll understand when they have a problem.

Congratulations, Robert, that's a great story. I'm sure it is very powerful when you tell the students. Role models are an important for students, particularly when they have a meaningful relationship with that person.

I use a similar approach. On the first day of class I describe a little of my background: went back to college in my mid-30's, while working a full-time job and supporting a full-time family with two small full-time children. Used the second college degree as a springboard to change careers within the same company, in midlife. Kept on taking classes to further my career, and because I like taking classes! Moved on to a much better job within my chosen career field. Earned a third college degree and a number of professional certifications.

Our school has a high percentage of non-traditional students. I tell them I understand the stresses and strains that result from the demands of full-time everything. It's not easy, but the rewards are great.

This approach has helped to open numerous conversations with students who are concerned about returning to college after being away from school for many years. They see that I can personally identify with the problems they face, and it helps them open up & talk freely.

Sign In to comment