Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Intervention Strategies

Describe an intervention practice at your institution that addresses either Academic Erosion or Academic Stagnation.

We have advisement forms to let the students know what the issue is. We require them to write comments stating why the problem is occurring and how they plan on fixing it. Someone will then follow up with the student to discuss the matter further.

Good to hear that you have these resources available, Joseph. How often do your students use them?

Anthony, sounds like these are paper forms. Do they become part of the student's permanent file?

We use academic reports on a regular basis to identify student issues, then we use a counseling form to discuss these issues with the student and refer to the correct department.

Has this system been effective for you, Vincent? Any suggestions to improve it?

Hi Anthony, I understand your process, but the way it is described makes me feel it sounds more punitive than caring and supportive - if I was struggling I may not appreciate or understand how I am to identify what the problem is or how I could fix it. I may need help to do so and the way it is presented may just increase my academic stagnation. I would like someone to recognize I am struggling and offer assistance very early in the process and not have to wait for someone to notify me to discuss it.

We have an open door policy for everyone on campus. We have established that their first 'g-to' person is their academic advisor which will then keep all faculty (that are appropriate) of the circumstance so we all remain 'in-the-know' and visa versa.

As Instructors you can see a change in a student . Class grade goes down not as engaging. You need to be proactive .

We conduct course surveys every 3 weeks.

We meet with our students on a regular basis. As new students we meet with them weekly to see if they are having any issuse or concerns. After that we meet with them every two to three weeks to ensure their success.

What does proactive mean to you, Tim?

Loren Kroh

How has this system worked, Chelsea? Do students keep the same advisor throughout their time at the school?

Brenda, who is meeting with the students? Their instructor(s)? Advisor? Sounds like a very time intensive practice. Has it been effective?

The instructors meet with the students as well as us, the program directors.

I first start with myself and evaluate as to am I prepared. Durring class I monitor intrest level, if while delivering material I walk to the rear of the class and eyes follow me I have them! This is just a daily practice. Long term I monitor attendance trends and class particapation. Students that appear to be sliping away I will ask some inocent questions to get a read on what really might be distrating them. If their concerns are outside of my reach I can refer them to our student services staff. I can then keep a eye on them to see if follow up may be needed.

We have an SSP, student success plans which states the issue and ways to solve the issue.

At our school, we try a multi step approach. We get every person invovled that needs to be. The first step is the Instructor. They have the first hand knowledge to see the student struggling or being held back by personal issues. When an instructor identifies a student needing help, the instructor will pull the student aside to see what kind of help they are in need of. Once they partner with the student, the instructor will partner with an education manager or student advisor. This will add an extra person in the mix but one who has the ability to dig deeper into the issue and provide real solutions for the student. Once we help the student problem solve, we set up a series of touch bases to follow up with the student. This helps us to see make sure we have provided the right level of help and support for the student.

Our institution's student support staff will have regular consultations with the students. This will occur on a periodic timed basis if the student is performing well academically. The times are set at different levels of curriculunm progress. Also, should a student have academic or attendance concerns, the support staff will work closer with the individual and create a flexible consultation plan. Each student is advised that the school has an open door policy regarding any concern or question, and the support staff also communicates with the students through various means in order to keep everything on track.

Jorge, how often do you conduct these consultations for students who are on track? Do you keep notes of the conversations?

Sign In to comment