Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Carolyn, who is responsible for oversight of the SSP?

Very comprehensive system, Kim. Does it produce the results you expect?

While I would like to say that is 100% full proof, we do have misses. As the course stated, it is sometimes difficult to get students to open up about their issues. Unfortunately, there are students who fall through the cracks within our system. We have yet to find the perfect combination of systems that will allow us to help every student to be successful. However, when we do have a save, it sure does feel good!

Provisional student status is reported upon daily. We report attedance and concerns to admissions, deparment chairs, deans, etc so identify issues early on.

Celebrate the successes; learn from the every encounter! Keep up the good work!

Denise, what information is included in the report for provisional students? Who gets the report and what do they do with the information? Has this procedure produced positive results?

send them to concelor

What I really like about the school where I teach is that everyone is encouraged to really get to know the students and to make them feel important. The school is great in having special events to show the students they are appreciated and cared about. It can be something like celebrating a particular sport during playoffs and encouraging students to wear their team’s colors to class and having games and food associated with the sport throughout the day or maybe one day having ice cream treats for everyone to enjoy. The school also encourages clubs and community projects within the different departments. These activities involve all students and staff. They can be stress reducing, fun and educational, making students feel important and not stagnate in their academic successes.

During the first term, the admissions team, to include the Director of Admissions, the Director of Student Services, and the campus president, make frequent visits to the classroom for quick "temperature checks". Additionally, we monitor attendance especially closely during the first 5 days of school, and admissions representatives will call any of their students that have not shown up by the first half hour of the class period.

Sandra, who coordinates these events? Do the students pay a fee for special events? How about for clubs?

Stephen, please tell us more about "temperature checks". How long do the sessions usually last? Do the instructors know in advance so they can adjust their lesson plan? Do you do this for all levels of students from just entering to nearing graduation?

"Temperature checks" are short "how-goes-it" sessions with students. Generally these sessions last no more than 15 minutes. If there is need for more comprehensive discussion with a student or group of students, we will schedule a follow-on meeting with those students. Instructors are usually informed in advance and are requested to leave the room during the sessions. We do this for all levels of students. We conduct more of these sessions, though, with students who have just started school.

We identify students at risk at put them on a weekly plan to meet with DON/ADON. We also have weekly reviews that are mandatory for people with C or less. We celebrate success with the "B" club. Everybody who has a B or better gets a bumble bee sticker for their name badge.

What sort of issues do you generally deal with in this way, Stephen? Do you have any sessions that are proactive rather than reactive?

Tina, what's DON/ADON? Can students earn multiple bee stickers? Can they lose the sticker if their grade drops to C?

Director of Nursing/Assistant Director of Nursing. Yes they can earn multiple "bees" and we post the "DON's Bee List", as this is earned at the end of each quarter. If they get a "C" they will not get one the next term.

We have advising forms, meeting with student to discuss what the issues are but that advising is for the student to express their concerns as well.

Thanks for having me. First this course has made me aware of things I may have overlooked otherwise. Just this week, I was involved with a student who seemed quiet. I know all student are different, but this student did seem out of place. I asked him if he would participate in group activities and he seem to do very little. when asked if everything is ok, the student said he has shut down and is ready to quit. after listening to him speak about his experience with the institution's lack of wanting to get involved with his issues, and academic rules he was ready to quit. "nothing changes" he says, no one cares. I with help of other departments did help this student and is now looking at learning differently. Thanks for the info in this course it is more clear to look out for retention issues.

My school uses evaluation forms twice a semester to inform students of their progress. Also, students can access their academic progress online with a website that provides grade updates to the current time that the student is checking. The students are trained to use this site upon entering their first semester.

Do these forms become part of the student's permanent file? Do you keep notes about the advisement sessions and if so, do the students get a copy? (I don't think it's necessary to share the notes)

Sign In to comment