Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Manage Stress

Students are effected by everything around them, we as instructors can manage thier stress in our world, in our class rooms, by the elimination of stress factors. We have to make our enviorment a place they want to be, a place that to them is a sanctuary away from thier day to day stress. This keeps them on line to thier goals, and shows them they can suceed even when everything else seems tough.

I think you are right! Instructors are seen by the student to be 'all knowing' and a role model towards success. I am not sure that they realize the inpact that they have on students level of stress. It is important to take a personal interest in each student to develop them into confident, stress free professionals!

As I read your reply Mark, I was trying to put myself in the students place. If I would come flying into the classroom with no lesson plan in place, I am certain that my classroom would transfer that energy and most likely be in chaotic as well. I try to enter the classroom everyday with positive energy and focus on having a fun learning environment for the students and for myself. I try to create suspense and I don't always tell them exactly what we will be doing next only that we are going to have fun doing the next task. This helps them anticipate what is coming up next in class.

Sarah, I have an example of that by what a student recently shared with me. She stated that she liked the way that when we were doing something in the dental lab and they made a mistake; I always say to the class it is not a big deal to make a mistake the bigger problem is not admitting that you need more practice before you master the task at hand. I always share with my students mistakes that I have made in the field and they enjoy this because I become more "real" to them. I always tell them no one is perfect. They really seem to connect this way.

Prior to an exam or a quiz I teach the students how to do a three stage breathing technique to relax and let go of stress. It's wonderful to see how many really participate in this breathing technique. Three of these breaths and a slow rolling of the head/neck and shoulders makes a world of a difference. All it takes is a few seconds and they're ready for the challenge.

I actually had students complain about a teacher who seems to "pull it out of their @@@" . The good thing for my school is that they have some great teachers to compare this teacher to, so they know what it looks like to have excellent instruction. When we provide the right instructors we end up raising our students' expectations, so when they see a problem, it must be fixed immediately, or satisfaction will drop.

Having a set agenda for an entire course helps me in the classroom with instruction, but I feel the students appreciate the given structure also. I even pass out updated agendas if I make necessary changes to meet time constraints.

I agree completely with you Pamela. I also try to have clear daily objectives, but also allow time in our discussions for more in depth learninigs. I try to gauge the stress levels of my students, and make myself available for individual dialogue. I teach a subject that can be intimidating, so constant reassurance of success can be helpful to manage academic stress.

I agree that structure is critical for student success. By providing time lines, due dates, etc.., they can better plan their own busy schedules to make sure that their work is completed in a timely mannger. Making sure that this information is given out on the first class date, insures that they cannot say they did not have sufficient time to complete the assignments, etc.

Sign In to comment