Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Training and Retention

The biggest problem I see for retention is the training for the Instructors, who interact with the students every day, and do not have the ability to pick up on their students training styles so they can watch for any problems the students will encounter and help them work through and/or point them to the right office to get the help they need. Once the student is getting the help needed we need to monitor too see they are working thru the problem and not letting someone else fix it for them.

Isn't this problem fixable? What has to happen to start addressing the issue?

I feel that the problem is definately fixable, but it will take more than just the instructor. Instructor training on "how to recognize a troubled student" would be best beneficial for the instructor, but he cannot handle all the situations alone. Time must be spent with the entire class. Having the training to know how to resolve small issues quickly, and to know when and who needs to take over on others is something that I feel we all need.

Is there a well developed training program available to instructors? If so, is it mandatory as professional development? You seem to have some good topics for training modules. Is there a way to develop them into a formal presentation?

As an instructor I'll admit I'm not always able to spot signs of a troubled student, even less so with a large class count. But, I always encourage students to be humble enough to ask for help.

Be humble enough to ask for help is an interesting way to phrase it. Is that the way you present the opportunity to the students? Do they understand the concept?

I feel that I have a great support group. If I have any concerns our staff makes it very comfortable to approach them.

Good point Tom, I to seem to be able to spot the troubled students early on . Sometimes all it takes is a short talk with them after class to let them know you are concerned and then you often see a difference.

I think that part of the challenge is that some instructors feel that the students have the same background and foundation that they had when they went to college. If an instructor is aware that not every one has the expected foundational skills and the same experiences, he/she can address some of these core issues and help the students once the challenges have been identified. I recently bought a book that addresses a lot of these issues. The book is Understanding and Engaging Under-Resourced College Students. It touches on a lot of the issues that contribute to students not be successful in school

Have you developed any screening devices to determine a student's skill and experience levels?

I agree with all your points. If instructors can be trained to pick up on falling grades,excessive absences,change in attitudes in class/lab. The process in adressing the students issues that are causing the change can be confronted sooner.True as Instructors we are the front line,we need to be trained in how to act accordily.

The topics you have identified don't require extensive training. Perhaps using mentors would get new instructors acclimated. The skills probably can be introduced easily and skills developed with experience. Would that work at your school?

Large class count poses serious challenge to an instructor in many ways, including retention

What do you consider large, Inna? What are some of the challenges and how do you overcome them?

Sign In to comment