Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mastering Résumé Writing Techniques | Origin: CS112

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Advising Students on Developing Modern Job Search Documents --> Mastering Résumé Writing Techniques

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I learned that resume writing has changed greatly since I wrote mine. I hope that I can convey all of the new information accuratley. 

I was not aware that the different styles of resumes serve a purpose. Since many of our students are inexperienced, it is good to know which style they should use.  It is also good to know other headings they can add to the resume when they are lacking experience.  

Know your audience when writing your resume. A small company may have a manger who has many responsibilities and less time to read resumes than an HR professional in a larger organization. Keep your resume concise and easy to understand on a quick read. Bullet point information relative to the position. 

Experience is the #1 thing employers look at and should be written not to describe a duty, but rather to demonstrate a specific attribute the employer needs.

I like the idea of considering everything on the resume is there as a part of a strategy. I think that using this concept will help my students be more thoughtful about what they are adding to the resume, as well as how they are choosing to organize the information. Also, it’s good to know it’s time to get rid of “Objective”.  That header is still on my last resume.. 😊

Proper writing is critical to job seeker success.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities