Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

LGBTQ Job-Seeking Process | Origin: CS111

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Providing Career Services for LGBTQ Students --> LGBTQ Job-Seeking Process

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Many states do not have Anti-discriminatory laws against members of the LGBTQ community.  This means that many students going into the workforce will face difficult challenges and need mentors.

It seems as if research is the best advice, along with communicating with the LGBTQ members in the locale for companies that provide equality for all people.  The tough part is for LGBTQ members who live in small/rural areas who are looking for employment.

More states need anti-discriminatory laws to help face challenges.

Researching the work policies and environment, making use of websites/resources around LGBTQ friendly ocmpanies and evaluating resume for wording are all good to do when deciding when making employment considerations

I appreciated the well organized considerations to guide a student through pros and cons. I also liked the idea of sharing the idea with a student who may not wish to include LGBTQ on their resume of rewording it to minority or diversity group so that their leadership skills and community involvement are still captured.

I am glad to see there are diverse  groups to assist LGBTQ diversity group that help to showase their leadership skills and community involvement .

I learned valuable resources to research the LGBTQ-friendliness of companies, how to prepare students to consider whether they may wish to be 'out' on their resume, and how to address/ask potential questions during an interview.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities