Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Preparing students for interviews

What is the best way to help students learn interview skills? Does anyone use role play and if so, are the students receptive to it?

Deborah,

Yes, I role play w/ them and I bring in my video camera from home. The students who have nervous ticks like saying Ummm or fidgeting have trouble controlling that behavior until they witness themselves doing it. We do not have the money in our budget to purchase a video camera for our school so I use my stuff or borrowed items from staff. They improve immediately when they are able to see how distracting a “tick” can be.

Gina

Great idea Gina. A video can be made over and over until the student is successful. Maybe there is a way to give the student the tape so they can enjoy their success. Do you have others critique the videos? Best wishes, Susan

Deborah
Role play is certainly the tried and true method to learn to interview successfully. And lots of feedback from others. You might have employers visit the school and give demonstrations of effective interviewing. Or give workshops on what they are looking for in an interview. You can also purchase videos and CDs with examples of good interviewing. Or check the Internet. Lots of info available. Best wishes, Susan

In some cases I make it a part of the “workshop.”
We review the tapes w/ the whole class. They can be shy but it is a fair process because we review all tapes if time is allowed. I do not like to traumatize extremely shy students so if I feel it will make them too uncomfortable we review the tape privately. I can normally make a student comfortable w/ the idea of allowing the class to view it when explaining the benefits but I do private reviews for those who are firm on their stand of a private viewing.
Gina

Gina
Good tip Gina. All students need to gradually work their way into a "public" viewing and then on to the real interview. So step by step is a great idea. Thanks, Susan

When I teach interviewing skills the students practice with each other (sometimes they complain about it at first, but then really get into it). All this preparation then leads up to a mock interview. I set up each student with a person who works in their field - outside of the school. This teaches them to be on time, dress properly, and give them a trial run before the real deal.

Great technique, Lani. It's all about practice practice practice to build skills and confidence. Have you even considered asking employers to visit your school to talk about what they look for in an ideal interview and then conduct practice interviews with students and provide feedback? Thanks, Susan

Hi Deborah-
Video sounds like a fantatic route to go. However, like others, I do not have such resources. I use roll playing all the time. Even with the shy one's, I attempt easing them into the situation with baby steps. Using a "Blueprint" for certain responses, has worked for some of my students. They may not hit each axis, but at least their thinking about it. Another tool which I found most effective was utilizing "School Projects". Even the shy students were more comfortable in discussing their projects, how they completed them, problems they overcame etc. Even the most inarticulate or shy candidates, typically felt comfortable in discussing their projects. I have the students do a one minute presentation on a project in an open forum for practice. Regardless, I believe some students are not receptive because they choose not to participate! Thanks, Michele

Really great Michele. We think what you are saying is that students gain confidence when they know who they are and can talk about themselves. So you start with their own projects. This helps when they are on an interview. They know they can say something about who they are. The ones who choose not to participate are probably afraid. So we think there is more work to be done to get them to be receptive to getting to the project discussion. Good luck, Susan

Hi Deborah,

Practice! Practice! Practice!
I know it sounds simple but I have found that three mock interviews while students are still enrolled greatly improves their interviewing techniques. We schedule three interviews at certain points of their program and at the end of the day we will hire the student who we feel performed the best. We will then discuss why we did or did not hire certain students. Prizes for being hired are also a great motivational tool.

Great ideas, James. Lots of ways to practice even more than 3 times. Students can work in class, in workshops, and pair up with other soon to be grads. We like the idea of virtually hiring the best interviewee and also prizes. Makes the process fun and takes the nervousness away. Thanks for sharing with us. Susan

I have a "deck of cards" with behaviorial based interview questions. I ask for volunteers in workshops to draw a card and answer the question. It helps all the students in the class to hear the answers and is fun at the same time.

Hi Millie, Fabulous idea. Can you tell us where you got the cards. Or if you created them, what are some questions and how many cards do you have. We are wondering what happens after the volunteers are finished. Do you require all students to pick a card? Thanks, Susan

I enjoyed reading everyone's ideas and by including all of these suggestions in our professional communication classes our graduates will have great skills.

I'm also calling employers, which was mentioned, for the final graduate's interview. I've just started so we'll see how this works. My vision is to have 2 or 3 employers for each degree program stop in for the day and evening classes to help out with interviews. This way the student can get an experiential interview in their career of choice.

By then, they have a completed resume, portfolio, have practiced a few times in mock interviews and understand the importance of dressing for success. Who knows, maybe the employer will be so impressed that when it comes time to hire they'll remember the graduate they interviewed.

Hi Dolores, All really great ideas. Good to keep in mind that employers can offer many services and are usually happy to if asked. They can handle the interviews as you outlined, give presentations, hold workshops, present what they are looking for in a candidate, talk about job advancement, how to get a raise, what it's like to work at their company, review curriculum, and much more. Good work, Susan

Consistent real life interactions with employers is the best tool to enhance their interview skills. With concrete relationships with employers, employers will be more than happy to provide a "practice" interview with the student in their own setting and environment. Also, exposing students to environments that needs networking and communication skills will help enhance those skills necessary for an interview.

Great Anna. We also believe that real practice situations are great for improving interview skills. Ideally there have been other practice sessions prior to the one with an employer. Getting feedback along the way is essential. Even self critiques. And video taping interviews. Thanks, Susan

When we teach interviewing skills we utilize mock interviews with the current staff at our facility, whether it is the instructors, admissions, Director of Education or School Director. We ask the students to come dressed and prepared for an actual interview for their field. It has worked quite well so far.
Joice

Hi Joice, Mock interviews are really great. And the more interviews the student practices the better. You might want to have real employers visit and hold mock interviews and then critque what went well and where improvement is needed. Best wishes, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities