Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You are right that the focus is on building confidence. It might take practicing for interviews 10 or more times. Also going over each interview with the grads to help them understand what went well and where they can do better. Here is where happy alumni can assist. Thanks, Susan

The mock interview is one of the best tools to get the student experience in the interview process. one of the biggest obsticles a student needs to overcome is the "jitters" part. Having the mock interviews gets the familiar with the "unknown" part of the process which will make for a more at eases interviwee.

Michael,
Mock interviews are great. And a student can never do enough. It is amazing how practice does lessen the jitters. What is important is lots of review and feedback - what went well and what could have improved. It's about developing skills and self confidence. Thanks

Dr. Susan Schulz

We will also be implementing mock interviews. I believe the more mock interviews and different kinds of questions asked, that the student will be more confident at the interview.

Kathy,

Mock interviews are great. What is important is that there is lots of feedback from the student and many others. Mock interviews are just one of many skills needed for the job search process. Interviews should be conducted by students, staff, employers, alumni and more. In addition skills need to be taught in how to contact an employer, set the appointment, follow up and more. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

We created a video with student role playing what to do and what not to do senerios to help graduates understand what that looks like. Student enjoy making the mock up videos and other benefit from the lessons.

Leticia,
This sounds like another fun activity that can easily engage students. The more fun - the more learning. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

When I first started one of our instructors asked me to come speak to his graduating classes. I spoke to the classes regarding writing an effective resume and what do do during and interview using a power point but I also offered handouts. The students were surprised that a lot of the things they do to prepare themselves and during and interview process are not always considered proper. The students love having me come in to talk about interview do's and don'ts and it has now become part of my schedule that I go to the graduating classes to explain appropriate interviewing behavior.

Nicole,
Resume and interview skills are very important. We think that employment skills training also involves building student self confidence as well. This takes time and not just a one time workshop or presentation. After each interview students should have the ability to discuss what went well and where improvement is needed. This can be in class, one on one, or in a group. Because it takes time for students to build skills, we think employment skills training should be happening all during the term. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities