Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Javier
We also believe in the importance of role playing and doing it in a group. Students can see that everyone has the same issues - nerves, ability to express clearly, and more. It becomes a game and gets the nervousness out before the actual interview. Thanks, Susan

I have used role play/mock interviews to prepare students for the "real thing." I strongly encourage students to practice/rehearse their answers, especially a 30 sec to 2 minute bio about themselves as they will most likely be asked, "tell me about yourself." However, I instruct the students to not come off as too rehearsed and that they're answers should come out naturally.

Most students are not too receptive to the idea of practicing or rehearsing, but the ones that do find it to be very beneficial. I encourage these students to spread the word about how the practice makes the interview experience a lot less stressful.

Thanks John, Actually if you make a game of mock interviews students have more interest and patience with it. And look for the class clown to demonstrate all the ways NOT to have a successful interview. There are a lot of game techniques to make the process fun so students learn the needed interview skills. Thanks, Susan

Role playing is great! Practice, practice,practice. I also believe that a grad shouldn't be so focused on answering the questions the way the interviewer wants to hear, but answer how they truly feel it should be answered. I think everyone will "bomb" at least one interview in their lifetime and that is the only way to learn.

Plus, asking the interviewer for feedback so the grad can use in the next interview.

Hi Tiffany, We agree. All employment and job skills training requires practice to build skill and confidence. There's probably a fine line between an effective response, one that the interviewer has heard many times, and speaking from the heart. Sometimes there is too much information given that isn't necessary. We also think that feedback from a variety of people is important when practicing interview skills. Thanks, Susan

We provide our students with mock interviews at the classrooms and I also provide my students with mock job interviews and coordinate mock job interviews with the local Work Source Centers.

Hi Lucy, Mock interviews are great and doing them in the classroom is good. We suggest holding frequent interview practice sessions as students learn from each one. It is good for them to experience improvement and more confidence. Organizing mock interviews at Work Source Centers is also a great idea. Then students can experience what it is really like on an interview and at the same time get feedback on how to improve. Lots of practice and feedback is important. Thanks, Susan

Are School does use role play mock interviews. We start from the introduction to the end of the interview. It gives the students the chance to get the feel of what kinds of questions that could be asked at an interview and how they would answer. Then we talk about there responses and if they needed to change or maybe added something to there responses.

That's great, Angie. Never can do enough mock interviews. You might have employers come to the school and conduct them and give feedback based on their experiences. And after each interview, ask the grad to tell you what went well and areas for improvement. Thanks, Susan

I think enthusiasm is the key to a great interview. Enthusiasm separates the winner form the losers. It can be more important than experience.
- Smile and be friendly to everyone you meet
- Extend a firm handshake
- Look the other person in the eye
- Show respect for the interviewer
- Mention that you are a hard worker, friendly and helpful
- Show that you can do the job, or that you can learn it quickly.

Absolutely. I agree that the communication of confidence & enthusiasm is priceless.

Good point. It takes skills, knowledge, and lots of practice to build confidence. That's a reason that the job search training process has to start very early in the students school experience. Thanks, Susan

Yes, enthusiasm is very important. Often it takes a while for a student to develop strong self confidence to feel enthusiastic. And a lot of excercises to loosen up. So great idea that you have them practice skills like smling, handshaking, etc. We feel that all these skills have to be practiced over and over and with different people until the enthusiasm feels natural to the student. Thanks, Susan

We have our students bring in resumes and help update and improve as necessary. The instructors will do mock interviews with the students to help them prepare. I saw a suggestion for using a video camera, I think that is a good idea.
Some students get very nervous. Any suggestions on helping ease the nervousness and project confidence?

Hi Stephen, Sounds like good offerings. We suggest that these kinds of exercises be offered frequently and consistently throughout the student's career at your school. Videoing students while practicing mock interviews is great. Gives the student the change to see the things they do well and areas for improvement. Also doing all this in a group and asking for group feedback. Overcoming nervousness is accomplished by practice. Self confidence takes practice and time. Thanks, Susan

I think roleplaying and mock interviews are excellents tools to use in preparing the students fro what to expect. Students get a different feel of what can happen int he real world and that ehre are different anwers and reactions to every situation.

Hi Kelly
Yes, it's very important to carefully and thoroughly train students in how to get a job. It's more than just resume writing. It's confidence building. So mock interviews and role playing are essential. And practice with real employers before the actual job interview. You are right, students should have enough practice in all areas of the job search so that are confident and know what to do when they are talking with a real job interviewer. Thanks, Susan

Practicing is the best way to prepare them so they can see what they can expect on the future

There is a lot to interviews and we think much more in addition to practice. It is also about building confidence and this takes helping the student understand who they are. Once people feel comfortable in their own skin and appreciate their worth they can be more successful in life and also during the interview. Alumni can help with the interview skill development. That's why we think Alumni Communities should be developed at every campus. Thanks, Susan

Giving students sample interview conversations help them ease their nervousness away, that most students do have. Besides that, role play is a great idea. Having a mini interview with these students can help them to grasp an idea of what the interview may be like. Students will see the support they are receiving from the placement department and have the confidence to have a great interview.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities