Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting your Resume Noticed

In my past work experiences, one of the things that I noticed is the amount of resumes received for each postion. I would like to see this training include some ideas of how you can bring your resume to the top of the pile for review. One example: I received a resume inside a shoe with a note stating "Now that I got my foot in the door" may I request a few moments of your time. Now, as a past HR professionl I felt that was extremely creative, and it worked. He got the interview.

HI Dawn
Yes, creativity needs to be fostered and creative resumes appropriately sent for each type of industry. It's a fine line that some grads just don't have. So certainly don't want to discourage getting grads to think about their edge and what makes their unique. It needs to be right for each type of job. Let's hear more ideas.
Best wishes
Susan

resumes should be straight forward and no to the point. the presentation by the student is more important than the resume

Hi Billy
We also agree that resumes should be straight forward.The process for writing the resume should allow the students to understand what they have done, who they are, what they like, their special abiliities. Then during an interview they will be prepared when asked about themselves.
Best wishes
Susan

Dr. Schulz:
I would like to know your opinion on having a "Personal Goal" and/or a "Personal Profile" section on a resume.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Irina Alexandru

Hi Irina

We have a traditional approach when it comes to resumes. A Career Objective statement at the top might be appropriate. Although sometimes it can lock a student into one job when they may have skills for a variety of positions.
Best wishes, Susan

Wow! I really like the shoe idea. I wish I had thought of it! As a director of education, I have to go through resumes almost every day. I like to recieve ones that are interesting and cover all of the pertinent areas of content. So, yes I want something that is different and captures my attention, but I don't want it to be so different that it is awkward. I may not be reresentative of the hiring public at large, but I like when job seekers use colored paper. It is just much easier to differentiate and find a resume printed on blue or green or pink paper.

I also loved the shoe idea. Being creative is important, but then it can also be challenging because we work with so many different types of employers and what one may think is neat and creative the other may think is to much. Now that many employers are scanning resumes (most searching for key words), we even have to be very simple with making resumes pop by using simple bullets or no bullets at all, etc. vs. ones that show creativity.

HI Bonnie

The creative get-to-the-top of the pile resume is always a challenge. We still believe that what the information says and how it is presented (as in neat, clear, easy to read, good spelling) is what gets it read. In some industries - the creative arts, design, etc. something more creative would be appreciated. Thanks, Susan

Our college has 9 different programs which means 9 different fields our placement center has their hands in. Every field is different, but the one thing I have noticed that helped get graduates in the door for the initial interview is a bulleted skills section right under their objective or if they choose not to have an objective, then list it first off. That way the employer, in their 10 second scan, gets the gist of what skills (hard and soft) my graduate will bring to their company. I encourage our graduates to let their personality come out in their resume, but not to the point that graphics or designs are so much, they detract from the purpose of the resume.

HI Pam, Great idea to have the student list his/her top skills. Not only does this help the employer, it also is a great exercise for the student to get in touch with what makes them unique. The grad has talking points to embellish on. And the list can make them feel good about themselves. As to creativity in resumes --- our belief is that the creative part has to be outstanding and is better left off a first resume. Thanks, Susan

Hi Pam - I have shared this with my students and graduates: In working with many hiring managers, HR directors and consultants, they have expressed that they like to see a list of top quantifiable achievements listed first on a resume. So basically taking that list of hard and soft skills you speak of and showing how you have made a difference with examples in your work experience using facts, figures and percentages. This helps differenciate themselves from other candidates by showing how they have made a difference with their abilities.

Thanks, Tom! You're so right! Employers are interested in behaviors and examples, not opinions. If students can point to a definitive set of hard and soft skills at the top of their resumes, and then in the interview, provide examples of how they have used those skills (and what the results were), they have a shot at an offer. A student doesn't have to have years of work experience to provide examples of how and when they used a skill.

Jay Hollowell, MaxKnowledge
Guest Facilitator

Most of my students are true career changers so the first page of the resume is all about who they are now: industry certifications they've achieved, profile of their attributes (general skills and personality), summary of technical skills, education, then their work history. It's working well getting students phone screens and interviews.

Hi Diane, Can you tell us more about your students. When you say they are true career changers do you mean that they are already working in one industry and train at your school to change industries or careers. If they are changing careers or industries what do their updated resumes look like upon graduation. What kinds of jobs are they getting. We'd like to know more about what is working to get students interviews and also what their placement success is. Thanks, Susan

I have been encouraging graduates to hand deliver their resumes to employers...or I had deliver them myself. I have noticed that doing this not only gets my face and the schools free placement services out there, but it also helps separate the graduates resume from the ones that are piling up on the company's fax machine. It has been a major help so far!

Hi Lea, Interesting idea. How is it working when grads hand deliver their resumes to employers? Are you tracking each delivery and whether the results is a job? We wonder whether hiring people mind being interrupted. I know I do even when someone calls. Most people work on an appointment basis. Getting your face in the door is essential as a career services director. You might want to compare the quality of a meeting when you pop in vs. when you set appointments. Do companies actually ask for faxed resumes? We find that the fax machine is getting obsolete and replaced by email and scanning. Anyway - sounds great. And measuring results will probably be helpful. Thanks, Susan

Susan,
I keep a record for each graduate of where and when I send their resume, either by email, fax or postmail. When the graduates were not having much luck in getting calls for interviews, we started hand delivering resumes. I created a professional portfolio that includes the course description of the program the graduates have completed, a personalized welcome letter introducing our school and graduates, as well as the current resumes of the graduates we have that are seeking employment. Sometimes the portfolio makes it as far as human resources or sometimes the office will tell me they are not hiring at the time/the position has been filled, but then I say, "well if you have a position that comes up in the future, I have enclosed information about our qualified graduates program and skill set, as well as their resumes. It has worked successfully so far. I can say that we have had a signifigant increase in graduates being hired since I have started this. Also, more employers have been getting in touch with me either by email or calling the school to let me know they have a job positing coming up that they have not publicly posted...to see if there are any graduates resumes that I can send over beforehand. Something else I think that has started to replace faxing and even emailing resumes is that employers are asking me to send the graduate down to see them in person to apply with a copy of their resume. The employers say, if the canidate is serious and motivated to apply for the job, they will come down in person to apply and be prepared to be intereviewed. Personally, I like when employers request this because then the graduate is tested on their ability to dress professionally as well as utilize what they have learned with interviewing skills. Its a success so far!

Wow. This is great. Your package sounds wonderful in that it includes so much information in addition to the resume. You have certainly shown how far the personal touch goes. Maybe employers are tired of being over emailed and appreciate the human face. Thanks for reminding us and keep us posted on your great results. Thanks, Susan

Also, visiting the site and bring your resume w/ a customized cover letter in a nice portfolio folder may also impress the hiring manager

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities