Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

HI Carol

We love the idea of portfolios. They help to build student self esteem, aid in retention, and of course in getting the job. What does a typical student portfolio include? Do you have specific formats and guidelines you can share with us? Thanks, Susan

I would also benefit from a list of items that will go into a students porfolio. kmoore@mcc2000.org. One thing I will implement into our students porfolio is that they create their own business card, letter head and envelope. We find they feel even more professional with these items.

Sounds great, Kimberly. Let's all share what goes into a portfolio. Thanks, Susan

Hi Pam-
We have had great success with the use of a "Showcase" with resume in lieu of a portfolio. Additionally, I try to practice with the students before graduation to do a 60 second presentation on some of their projects so they can be prepared and use this as a forum to speak from. Having the student explain what he made, how he made it, problems he overcame and what he learned has helped them articulate and show skills and "work product" (even though they have not worked previously in this field). Good Luck, Michele

Hi Michele, Great points. Whether it is a port folio or showcase, all techniques provide the graduate with a "crib" sheet or reminder of who they are. Like a security blanket, the grad feels comfortable and is more likely to perform well during an interview. Thanks, Susan

The students having a portfolio is a great idea. I am going to add that as part of our requirements for placement. Thank you.

Hi Yolanda
There is so much that can be done with portfolios it almost seems that every class should have some kind of portfolio activity. Students learn a great deal about themselves and can see their improvement and accomplishments. The end result is that they have more of an idea of who they are and their capabilities when they complete each course and their program. Takes a lot of planning and creating a policies and procedures manual for effective implementation.
Good luck, Susan

I do believe that portfolios are a good addition to the tools that can be used in an interview. At our school, we teach our students to have their best work showcased in a portfolio for an employer to really visualize the work of the graduates. Thanks, Christine

Thanks Christine. It's always good to be reminded of the value of portfolios. Even if your program doesn't lend itself to portfolios it is such a student self esteem booster. Students are encouraged to save their best work. To do that they must strive to do their best work. Then when they see it their pride helps to keep them in school. And they can see how much they have improved over the course of their studies. We really believe that placement impacts on everything. Portfolios make the job search easier and can increase retention. Thanks, Susan

Our students are in healthcare related fields so they don't end up with a portfolio of work. However we do have them create a portfolio to include thier cover letter, resume, recommedation letters, copy of certificate of completion or license, and references.

Hi Lisa, thanks for your comments; in addition, I might suggest that a portfolio of work for healthcare students could include a writing sample, a hard copy of any projects completed in school, and an instructor-completed checklist of clinical/back office and front office skills and procedures the student has successfully completed in lab.

Jay Hollowell, MaxKnowledge
Guest Facilitator

I think the best thing I can advise our students to add is the clinical skills checkoffs as that does really display thierthe quality of skills.

Pamela
I believe that what you are doing is the way to go! the more a candidate is ready for the intervies the better.

I have begun a three interview process at our college. 1st: by the instructor
2nd: by the program supervisor
3rd: by me (Career Services)

For the third interview they must have a solid resume, cover letter and three references! jav

Hi John and Pamela

Great interview process and it involves so many people on campus. Having employment skills start in the classroom tells students that everything is about preparing for and getting a job. The program supervisor review further focuses on how getting prepared for the interview starts in class and begins early. And by the time you see the students you can build on what they know rather than starting from the beginning. Thanks for sharing your success formula. Susan

At my school we mention portfolios to our students day 1 during orientation and we teach that in thier first class. We teach them how to put a portfolio together what should be in it and we tell the students it is a great way to sell themselves. Being a Culinary School we have Savory students as well as Pastry students and we tell them as soon as you get into those kitchens take photos and lots of them. Especially our Pastry students, bakeries want to see how creative they are when making cakes. We have found that when students actually listen to us and make a portfolio they are landing jobs on the spot. We have had great feedback from employers and recruiters stating they love that the students bring portfolios and wished that other culinary students would make them as well. It helps sell our students to all employers.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities