Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yes I believe that the focus of regulatory bodies has been intensified on employment outcomes. I believe the elevated unemployment rate because of either unemployment or under-employment has caused more scrutiny.

Annie ,

Indeed the state of the economy and the unemployment rate has led to many issues for the career college industry. Our hope would be that all economic factors would be taken into account when calculating a fair employment rate for career colleges. On the other hand we stand in a precarious position where we assume the responsibility for assisting graduates in finding employment which can be burdensome in today's society. If we can not deliver upon our mission statement then we will continue to be scrutinized.

Cindy Bryant

The most recent article I've read on student loans is one in seven students is in default. That's a lose lose for everyone, especially the students. The most effective way to lower the default rate is to have students enroll in programs that are in demand. Employment outcome is the real end-game and argueably the only validation of its worth.

Jeffrey,

Great observation. Determining in-demand programs requires multi-faceted research such as, unemployment rates, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Advisor Boards and local economic factors.

Cindy Bryant

The focus has indeed intensified, given the current employment conditions fraud is on the rise as competion for students intestifies. Its a sad commentary on the deteriation of the moral fibers in this country following the finaincial meltdown. But constant with how people fall prey in times of hardship.

I believe the driving force is actually multi-causal. Some of the contributing factors are the recession, job competition, the shrinking dollar and sky rocketing tuition.

Yes, since the current administration came out with the "Gainful Employment" regulations, there has been a fervor over what this means. The long and short of it, without ensuring good employment outcomes, there is no way of complying with the new Gainful Employment regulations.

I believe that going to school should be beneficial to the student, and I think it should be addressed in the beginning to avoid wasted time and money on a undecided student. Student long term goals should be discussed and employment goals are part of the employment outcomes and this can also drive school services changes.

I believe regulatory bodies have increased their focus on employment outcomes more than ever. This is partially evidenced by ACCSC's recent decision to require third party verification for employment outcomes. I believe the driving force behind the increased intensity is based on the pressure by the USDOE for career and technical schools to be held more accountable, particularly for-profit organizations.

Yes, because I believe schools are being held more accountable for the education they are providing, and their employment rates are a direct result of the quality of that provided education.

I do believe the focus of employment outcomes has intensified, primarily due to GE.

Yes, I believe it is because the governing bodies want more transparency for the consumer

Yes because more and more students are leaving with degrees/certificates that are not leading to employment. They have debt to pay off and nothing to show for it.

Yes, the focus on employment outcomes by regulatory bodies has intensified. For example, the major premise of the new Gainful Employment Rule implemented by the US Dept of Education is based on salaries and the percentage of which is used to pay back educational loans. While the government chooses to focus on one sector's outcomes so as to push forward their own political agenda, the outcomes of the remaining sectors are ignored. In fact, the Gainful Employment Rule itself was tweeked in the final days prior to implementation so as to protect any community colleges or historically black colleges from being negatively impacted. Much the same as they did for the disclosures of 3 year default rates. The regulatory bodies manipulated those numbers so as to protect certain sectors. All so that their political points and agendas could be furthered. If regulatory bodies could focus squarely on a problem, without trying to enhance their own agendas, then maybe, just maybe, problems could be resolved.

I do believe that the focus has increased and this could be related to the increase in debt ratio that many students are engaging in.

Of course it has. I suspect it intensifies proportionately with student loan debt growth. The government is "investing or risking" money on education, so they need a return in tax payers and consumers.

Yes, I do believe that the focus on employment outcomes will intesify. The driving force behind the intensity is the fact that many students have been misinformed about actual employment outcomes by exaggerating job placement numbers.

Yes, it has intensified. I think it has intensified because there is a concern that much money invested and few results. The responsibility of the institutions must be to develop programs with employment opportunities for students. It is difficult, there are many institutions doing the same. Good service, trust, transparency and high standards will make the difference.

yes. students being able to pay back their loans.

I feel that the focus on all statistics, whether they be employment outcomes, placement rates, median loan debt, etc., has intensified. I believe this intensity has increased in order to weed out programs or institutions that may not be performing very well.

Sign In to comment