Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

If it isn't affecting their ability to do the training or affecting their grades, I wouldn't do anything. If the person has developed "coping" mechanisms for their disability then they should be allowed to try.

Michelle,
I agree that students with disabilities should not be required to reveal their disability unless and until they are ready to do so. But I also believe it places the student in jeopardy, and the faculty member in an awkward position, if students decide to wait and see if they can get by without accommodation, only coming forward when they acknowledge that they cannot. The appropriate response on the part of faculty is, "from here on out, we will see that you have the appropriate accommodations you need, but the grades you have earned to date still stand." While that is the appropriate answer, students are rarely satisfied by it. They want you to go back and forgive their poor grades because of their disability. That isn't going to happen. So while students with disabilities have a right to choose not to disclose, they also must acknowledge and be prepared for the consequences.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Shouldn't the student have gone through the proper process in disclosing a disability? The accommodations would have been identified through the proper procedures.

Bruce,
I believe the original question had to do with students disclosing before their admission, rather than in the process of requesting accommodation. You are right -- if a student wants accommodations, he/she must disclose to the proper institutional authority.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I would find it frustrating, but life has a way of putting obstacles in your way. First you find out the disability , what, how, and the when's. You find ou from the students if there are any restrictions and/ or accommodations that they have applied for and how will that effect them within this class or for the further of there education if any. Then we would try to follow what is necessary to make that happen without giving them an hand up from th other students.

Julius,
That's a wise philosophical approach -- "deal with it as the situation arises." In fact, RESPONDING to concerns, rather than anticipating them, can be another way of providing students with disabilities a measure of dignity. It says to them, "we assume you are just like every other student here, and we intend to treat you that way. If you need additional assistance, we welcome your inquiry. But we aren't going to *assume* that your disability makes you less competent.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I think this happens more often then we realize. The students may not be aware of the accomodation(s) that they may be entitled to and often, the administration isn't too sure either! I think that's why the "case by case" basis is so important; it can be tailored directly to the student's particular need.

Cheryl,
I agree. The most difficult issue we often face is students who do not come forward, in a timely manner, to request the assistance we are more than prepared to provide. Having taken this class, maybe it will alert you to examine the systems in place at your institution and see if there are suggestions you can make to the powers-that-be that might make the process of requesting accommodations more "user friendly."

Dr. Jane Jarrow

What is the best way to deal with students that use ADD and ADHD as an excuse for not meeting the classroom expetations?

Kristy,
I suppose the best answer I can give is "don't let 'em!" The existence of a disability may explain the difficulties they are having, but it certainly doesn't excuse them. As an instructor, you simply make it clear that you are prepared to make reasonable accommodations, but that the students will be held to the same standards of achievement as their peers.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I think it should be treated as any other failure to disclose. It would be discrimatory for therest of the students if there was a failure to disclose penalty and it was imposed on the non-disabled student and not the disabled student. The goal is to equeal the playing field, isn't it?

Your statement doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, Laura. What is a "failure to disclose" penalty? How is a nondisabled student penalized if he/she does not disclose that they have a disability? Looking at this and your other responses together, you seem determined to find something inherently unfair about the process of accommodation. I am not sure what your experience has been with students with disabilities, but I worry that nothing you have read in this class has made any dent in your impression that they don't belong in your class!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree there is a lack of understanding by the student and our staff that accommodation assures equal access not to enhance student success.

Darcie,
Then perhaps your goal should be to help the institution (and your students!) to better understand the difference!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I believe that faculty and staff should have more training concerning this issue. To many times there is confusion about accomodation assures egual access and it is not to enhance student success. I think if staff and student have a better understanding on this issue there will be a more positive outcome.

Lauren,
I can't argue with your logic here. I think the more that faculty and staff understand, the more that services and support can be delivered in a seamless manner.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

i agree with this it does not matter when you learn of the student's disability we should do what we can to help them from that time forward and to encourage them.

Summer,
That's it exactly. You are not required to be a mind reader, and it is up to the student to appropriately identify themselves and ask for assistance. Once that happens, whenever it happens, it is time to talk about what we can do to assist.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

our students are evaluated every 4 weeks if their full time students and every 5 weeks if their evening stdents. At that time the teacher is about to see consistencies or inconsistencies or academic struggles that the student may be experiencing. There have been times that stdents may have had a learning ability and mentioned after the admissions process and their already enrolled. They passed the admissions test and there was nothing in particular, at that time that stood out as potential concern. After the student is in class daily, you may notice habits that becomes concerns and we discretely must address them confidentially, with the student to give them support and direction when handling their particular situation.

Brenda,
It might be useful for you to explore the process in place at your school for supporting students with disabilities once they disclose -- whenever that is in the process. Is there a single office or individual who is charged with facilitating accommodations for such students (that is, discussing their disability and determining how best to accommodate and support)? There probably should be. It seems unfair to leave the responsibility to individual faculty to try and determine how best to help in an atmosphere that suggests secrecy, rather than the privacy that is needed. Both instructors and students with disabilities deserve support at the institutional level.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment