Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree that all staff and faculty should be trained on this issue; however, some people still have a difficult time seeing accommodations as anything but an unfair advantage for those that qualify for them. We have had several trainings on this topic at our campus, but we still have some staff and faculty that view accommodations as an unfair advantage.

Heather,
I don't have any good answers or easy fixes to suggest. I suppose that the best that can be done is for those who DO understand the need and intent of accommodation to lead by example. Show the rest of them what CAN be done and hope that they come to respect the process after seeing its impact.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I'm not always sure of the reasons that student withold information of such importance. I would like to believe in this day and age we are a gentle and compassionate society. The information will only benefit the student.

Amy,
There are whole theses written on this topic. It has to do with the stigma of disability (yes, even today), with the way our system trains us (with others being given authority over disclosure in the K-12 system, and the students being given the choice for the first time in college), and even the experiences and maturity of the student. Older adolescents and young adults want very much to be "just like everyone else." For those with nonvisible disabilities, it is very tempting to pretend you are!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree with your statement that it happens more than we realize. I have seen this happen on several occasions.

When ever the disability is discover the proper accomindations according to policy and procedures will be provided

The timing of the disclosure is crucial for the student to get the most out of his/her education. Also, what one student may consider a disability, another student may not. Example: A student enrolled in one of the medical majors was color blind. But until near the end of his education when it was realized he would not be able to identify certain microorganisms and/or color coded equipment or instruments, it wasn't an issue. Needless to say, he was unable to complete his education in his desired major.

Crystal,
Wow! How unfortunate. There are so many different types of devices, or assistive technology which can now mitigate certain types of color-blindness... Sometimes, out-of-the-box thinking (and a little research) can go a long way in a student finding success.

Sarah Smoger

Sign In to comment