Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Disclosure of a Disability

We rely on our applicants to disclose any physical or mental disability that would impede their training. What happens when the disability is discovered after the applicant begins the program?

Deborah,
That's the time to begin the interactive process of determining what reasonable accommodations can be put in place to help that student reach his/her goal. The fact that they need some accommodation to achieve the same outcome doesn't mean that the same outcome cannot be attained. That's really the whole intent of the law -- the allow people with disabilities to have a chance to show their ABILITIES, rather than being excluded from the chance to try because of their DISabilities.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

No matter when we learn of the disability, we must try to find ways to give the student the appropriate access to the training so that they can enjoy the benfits of that training. If the person has a disablity that would absolutely prevent them from completing certain tasks during training (even with the appropriate accommodation)then we would have to discuss this with them. The key is the communication and interaction with the student in order to determine what limitations they may have or what accommodations they feel they need, before rushing to judgement on whether or not they can successfully complete the tasks/training.

You are very good at this! (SMILE) You are right, again. We cannot know what THIS person with a disability will be able to do until we talk to them, explain what needs to be done, and explore appropriate accommodations. THEN, if it turns out that there is simply no way the task can be safely and effectively accomplished, we talk about other options. But not until we have had the substantive conversation.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I know at our school, we often do not have the information about a disability. However, as the student begins to perform in the classroom, it becomes obvious that he or she has some form of disability. A weekly performance log is good for the student to complete a self-reflection for the week and often will come to the conclusion on his own that he will need to rethink his choice of program.

Sue,
It sounds as though you are suggesting that if a student is struggling in class, it is likely because of a disability. And if the student has a disability, he/she WILL struggle in class. I'm hoping that isn't what you intended to suggest, as either kind of assumption can lead to some inappropriate responses.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

That is not at all what I intended! I think it's great that we do NOT assume any disability. The weekly self reflections are for the student's own benefit. Any student is able to self reflect and come to his or own idea of their learning abilities. My intention is a positive one in which the students often surprise themselves as they reflect and determine their successes when they may have questioned their abilities. I love to see the self discoveries!

Sue,
Oh! I see. I DID misunderstand your earlier reference (sorry about that!). Yes... helping ALL students to be realistic in evaluating their strengths, weaknesses, and interests is always a positive step.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I think at that time it's best to talk about the accomodations that can be made to help the student do what they need to do not how it's to specifically be done.

Barney,
I agree that it is not productive to engage in a discussion of whether or not it was a good idea for the student to enroll. They DID enroll, they are there, and they should have an opportunity to try. And you are right -- it is appropriate to talk about accommodations, but leave the specifics of how those accommodations are to be organized to the designated office/individual (disability service provider) on your campus. This is one time when faculty need only facilitate the accommodation that someone else takes the responsibility for prescribing (that is, you are not expected to know all about disability and accommodations; that's not part of your job description).

Dr. Jane Jarrow

If the disability is discovered after the applicant begins the program, the published procedure for requesting accommodation would be followed by the student.

I've had that problem at my school, where the student didn't disclosed the problem until later in the semester.

That is not only a logical answer, Vickey, it is the legal answer. By law, students are not required to disclose their disability AT ALL. If they want consideration/accommodation, they must disclose -- but they can do that at any time. At the point where the student discloses, the obligation for accommodation begins, whenever that is.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Theresa,
That is neither a problem unique to your school nor unique to your students. It happens all the time and it is unfortunate. But we remind students with disabilities that they have rights, but also have responsibilities. Part of that responsibility is to come forward and request the support they need through appropriate channels. You aren't meant to be a mind reader.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Yes Theresa, I have had the same problem that they informed me about the disability when they where in academic trouble.

Dennis ,
Your obligation is to respond to the request for accommodation when the request is made. It isn't your job to go out seeking students who need accommodation (and should be asking for it). But your open and accepting attitude in the classroom may make it easier for students to come forward.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Most time people regret have hiring them job.

TYSHON,
I hope you are not suggesting that people with disabilities are regularly excluded because others believe them to be bad employees. Maybe I missed something here. Can you expand on your meaning?

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I just handled my first request where the student submitted their request during their second semester. There was no change to our published process and we are meeting with the student today. But what I am discovering is there is a lack of understanding by the student and our staff that accommodation assures equal access not to enhance student success.

Vickey,
That's always a hard sell, Vickey, especially when you are talking about a student with an invisible disability (like LD or ADHD) who *looks* just like every other student in the class. Just keep reminding them... "access, not success!"

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment