Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Eliciting Student Referrals

What methods of seeking student referrals from other students are appropriate, given the new restrictions?

I would say that it is appropriate to ask as long as we are not giving a specific reward to the student for that referral.

During the course of the enrollment and financial aid process, I usually just ask if they know anyone else that I can help. I don't force the issue, just ask if they know anyone that I can help get in to or back into school. If they say no, then I don't push it and I don't ask again.

Mindy,

Could you clarify what you mean by "specific reward?"

Cindy Bryant, Facilitator

Our school is small enough I often see students I've enrolled going to and from class. Every so often I'll ask them if they have thought of anyone they would like to have going to class with them. Additionally I have given business cards to students to pass on to their friends.

Steve,

Referrals are a wonderful way to build a school.

Cindy Bryant

We are a small school which is growing, we usually go to the class rooms and pass out the cards for students to fill out. This usually has categories like family or friends that they can think, would benefit from the education they are receiving.

As part of my information sheet. I require at least 3 referrals. These referrals let me know how interested the prospect is in pursuing his or her career. Once I speak to the referrals. I invite them in for a tour of our school

John,

Interesting approach. I have heard of admissions asking for referrals after teh interview but not before. This seems like a good way to insure that the student is serious.

Cindy Bryant

We have a question on our application that says "do you know anybody who might be interested in learning about our programs?"

We also do an entrance survey after students have matriculated. In this survey we track how the student found us as well as if they have any friends or family who are interested in receiving information.

we use facebook so students can "like" us and recomeend us to their facebook friends.

Eric,

This is a solid approach to referrals. It does not place any pressure on the individual to supply the information. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Bryant

At our institution, we also ask on their initial admissions questionnaire if there is someone they would like to refer to our program. In addition, our admissions representatives often join in our monthly student meetings. During this time, they can remind the current students to let us know if there is someone they would like to refer. It is no-pressure, but gives them a constant reminder that we are here if a family member or friend becomes interested at some point during the student's enrollment.

Hillary,

It is great that you are able to collaborate on student referrals as a team.

Cindy Bryant

Having students "like" our Facebook page gets our name out in the community. In addition, I ask students if they have any friends or family who are interested in continuing their education.

During my initial conversation with the prospective student, I like to mention that I am here to help anyone else in their social circle that may be interested in attending college as well.

Generally speaking when a student indicates they have a friend or family member that is interested in attending college I ask if they want my contact information so I can help them out as well. If a student gives me a number of someone to call after last week's training I know to run it through the DNC list first.

You can still ask students for referrals by reaching out to determine if they think that anyone else they know would be interested in continuing their education. However, the student cannot recieve compensation for enrollment, if using a recruiter they may need to be licensed, and you still cannot reach out to a referral if they are on the Do-Not-Call registry.

Tangi,

Hi! Thank you for summarizing these critical elements so well. You are absolutely correct.

Cindy Bryant

If I speak to a student that has had a positive experience, I let them know that I am happy to assist their friends and family that are interested in learning about furthering their educations. I usually ask them to have an interested party contact me, but if they ask me to contact someone, I check the number in the DNC registry first.

Methods that are appropriate include asking if they know of anyone who may be interested in starting, explaining to them that using a study buddy system is extremely helpful in succeeding in classes, and explaining the benefits of an educated household.

Sign In to comment