Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New Hire Orientation

Best Practices on how to train new hires to do their jobs.

I think it is best to allow a new individual to view others in the position doing the wotk to see as to how they handle the work load. Next I think they should go over the OTM and where and how to access it. I also think they should have training with their boss and peers. Also role play is a very good way to get comfortable dealing with different situations.

All new hire paperwork is reviewed with one person. Then the department director and/or pd continues with a training plan. All new hires will shadow with an employee after meeting with a director to get further training. All new instructors meet with the LRC coordinator to review the AV equiment in the classroom, the LRC and discuss email, and prep room computer use.

My recommendation is allow the new hire to shadow someone in the department that is already doing the job. Provide adequate time for the new hire to review the OTM and allow them to ability to ask questions and gather feedback. Make sure the new hire is given clear instruction and objectives in order for them to be successful in their new role. We need to support and guide our new hire, the better guidelines and support the better the employee

I agree with everyone so far. New hires should be allowed to shadow and do product knowledge first. Then the rest as follows.

New hire orientation is a critical part of employee retention. If you just throw someone into their job without proper training, they most likely will not last and they can also make critical, costly mistakes for the company. Performing the 30/60/90 day reviews are also helpful to make sure the employee is on track and being able to assist them if they are not.

I agree that new hires should shadow an employee for at least one week. A new employee orientation should be at least every other month dependent on the number of employees you hire each month. Each department should introduce themselves and give an overview of what they are responsible for. The OTM should be review with each new employee.

The new hire should be allowed to shadow other Admissions Representatives, I aslo believe new hires should be able to sit in the labs and watch students perform so that when it comes to interviewing, the new hire has the book knowledge and what they learned from sitting through a student lab. They can give a more detailed information when interviewing a potential student.

Linda - I agree with your concept of providing time for training new hires. This is typically challenging as schools are typically responding to vacancies or immediate needs. But it is a good practice to plan for appropriate ramp up time.

All new hire paperwork is completed with Manager of Administrative Affairs. Employee is then set up with an "on-boarding" schedule where they meet with each functional department of the campus to learn what they do. Sometimes employees are then sent to training with someone else at another campus who is in their same position. Instructors are required to "shadow" other instructors as part of their on-boarding.

I agree that providing time for training new hires is a challenge because we are responding to immediate needs and because we have demanding schedules. However, the stated reasons provide me with a clear picture of why it is so important to make new hire training a priority. The time one takes today for training a new hire will be time rewarded in the future when the new hire can perform a job with understanding, efficiency and minimal errors.

Exactly! I consider new hire training time as an "investment" that can really pay off!

All of our campuses are not in the same location and we use webinars to go over HR information and benefits.

I agree with your ideas on training new hires. Some companies are so interested in getting the new hire "into the starting gate", they force the person into the position too quickly. I think that proper training is an absolute must for a company. If the person is thrown into the mix before he or she is adequately trained, they are being set up for failure. Companies should bite the bullett and give adequate training in all aspects of the job. Additionally, I think it is a good idea to have a new employee shadow an employee that is trusted and will treet the new person as a future resource for the institution.

I agree with your comment and I believe the 30, 60 90 day evaluation plan we currently use should be tied to their orientation and training program as too often we try to rush through too much information too quickly. Many times we use shadowing as the only source of orientation and many times we don't orient our associates to the other departments and this does not allow them to know and appreciate all of the student resources we have avaialable to students!

All new hire paperwork is completed with Manager of Administrative Affairs

I feel the new hire training must be an ongoing process over the first several months of employment. It is challenging as a new hire to be so overwhelmed with information while trying to learn a new job and a new company culture.

New hires can shadow the Dept Lead or Director for better understanding of the job duties.

I was just sent for a week of new hire training and I found it very helpful with my work ethics once I came back.

Whenever I hire someone, I always have them shadow a senior rep. This allows my new hires to gain some valuable product knowledge.

Sign In to comment