Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Read Before You Sign

I see many students just sign documents without taking the time to thoroughly read what they are signing. During that moment, I remind them the importance to read documents first before giving their actual signature. Providing examples are helpful, such as, someone could have been selling you a car, poor product, etc, and you would not have even known.

I agree with you. It’s important to take the time and explained each student the content of the documents they’re signing and also give them enough time to read everything before the signed on the dotted line. This shows our level of transparency.

It is very important for the student to read what they are signing prior however i believe that they put there trust in us and thats why its even more important for us to be ethical and explain in detail.

Another good point. While it is a consumer's (student's) responsibility to read and understand before signing a document, staff are depended upon to explain, provide appropriate disclosures, and answer questions. The world is full of contracts and documents that require signature and many people have become less sensitive to the significance that a contract may contain.

I completely agree with you and the others in the forum. But the forms become tedious and confusing and when the student has questions, sometimes the answers are more confusing.

I agree that the forms can become tedious. But,since the student signs so many forms during enrollment or re-entry, it is important to ask the student to summarize what they just signed. This gives them a chance to ask questions or feel the need to look over the documents.

I like this approach, Lissette! Asking the student to summarize rather than the employee trying to explain ensures that they understand before signing the documents.

Yes, I agree with you. Students should take the time out to read the documents before signing them. Especially when a document has fine print. To me, some documents has fine print for the signer not to see what the fine print says at times.

Completely agree. Not only is it the right thing to do as an institution, it also should make the student think twice before signing any document that they may be asked to sign in the future outside of school

I think that the most in the current generation just sign things and have no idea what they are agreeing to. Then when they make claims, and you show them what they signed, they just look at you like you have a second head because they just signed and never read. I think sometimes we may inadvertantly give the impression that they just need to trust us and sign without letting them have time to read. I bet at somepoint in their life, we all have just signed something without completely reading it. I think it is our duty to make sure that they actually read before they sign.

Kenny,
Agreed - the more they hear and see the message, the better. By the time they sign it, they should have already read/heard/seen information aligned with what the agreement states.

Traci Lee

Although appointments may take longer, it is very important to encourage the student to read all documentation before they sign anything. Therefore, we have a responsibility to give them time to read over paperwork and not feel rushed.

Lissette,
I agree that review of such materials should not be rushed. Being available to assist and answer questions during the enrollment process is critical to providing superior service and support to students.

Traci Lee

I have found it helpful to emphasize reading it and pause before going over the key points of the specific document, implying that i am waiting for them to read it. I have started doing this because so many students would ask questions after the enrollment that should/would have been answered in the paperwork. I think it is important to make each student understand that signing these documents is a serious committment and that if the weight of the decision to get an education is not emphasized at enrollment they are more likely to cancel/miss appointments etc.

Sign In to comment