Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Code of Conduct

When a student is consistently challenging policies that are enforced by the Code of Conduct found within the catalog, is it because they are leeking an easy road or that they just have authoritative issues?

I believe neither, what I have found is that sometimes they want attention, sometimes it can be something at home. Either way, you should investigate why a student is behaving they way they do before making a judgement call.

In my past experience with students, the challenging has often come from lack of consistency amongst instructors and enforcement. We constantly compare a student's conduct against the disciplinary actions outlined in the catalog to make sure we are sending the same message on a regular basis. We also have a catalog jeopardy game at the beginning of the program to discuss the policies and allow students time to ask questions and receive answers. They sign off stating they have done this and will abide by policy. This allows us to use it as support if we have any challenges with a student's behavior down the road. The few students we have whoconstantly fight the system are usually those who, unfortunately, are not the best fit and tend to struggle to complete the program.

Leah, the jeopardy game is a great idea. It helps them to remember policies and makes them accountable. Brenda

Interesting idea regarding the jeopardy game. I believe the reasons students exhibit such defiant behaviors can be from all the mentioned above. Often times students in non-traditional colleges tend to not have the discipline and where-with-all to act professional and conduct themselves with respect. We must identify the reason and help the student work through it and if need be direct the student to Student services for referral. In any casean instructor is not to be disrespected and the class experience should not be disrupted.

I agree with your statement. My experience also is that the challenges often are the result of inconsistencies within our own academics. The instructors must refer to the policies in the catalog to keep on track, and this must also apply all the way up the chain of command, through the Program Director, the Associate Dean, Academic Dean up to the Campus President. If we are not consistant, then there is the opening for challange, the questioning of just what is correct. I also agree with a statment of another participant, that many times the challenging may be due to the students prior back ground, either from family dynamics, former educational experiences, or in some cases, personality. We must look at each instance individually, but we have no recourse if we are not consistant ourselves.

I agreed with the comment that the students who consistently violate the campus codes of conduct are seeking an easier road to obtaining their diplomas and/or they have authority issues. Most of those students have a long history of defiant behaviors. Others are bringing their negative personal issues onto the campus thus taking out their anger on other students and on instructors. Although instructors have to act as therapists by helping those students to develop strong coping skills there should always be consequences for students who refuse to follow the campus codes of conduct.

I don't think that we can automatically assume a student is seeking 'an easy road'. It could be that they have 'authoritative issues, who knows? The one thing I do know...this type of situation presents an opportunity to both the employees and the student involved. We can learn how to repectfully require that our core values (integrity, respect, customer service, teamwork, acheivement) are adhered to while we are demonstrating them ourselves and we can teach the student what they are, what they mean and the benefits of living them out at the present time and in the future.

No one can't automatically assume that students are looking for an easy road but in all reality that is just what many students are looking for. I see it frequently.

Sometimes it can be lack of authority or attention. As employees we must be consistent in the presentation with every student. What I mean, is that every student must understand that they will be held to the standards outlined in the catalog. This dialogue starts at interview, orientation and each course start.

I agree that most students with these type of issues usually have a problem with all "authority figures". Quite often, finding themselves having to comply with rules and regulations is a first time occurance with most and they struggle with this delimma.

The sad thing is some students that exhibit such defiant behaviors will have a hard time gaining rewarding employment which is why some students enroll in career schools in the first place. Luckily (and thankfully) some "get it" while they are in school but I would have to say there are some that just will not. It's sad but how much can you do to help them? They ultimately need to help themselves.

It seems that many times students in higher education are struggling with the course content when they had possibly been able to fly right through high school. This causes unrest within their own self and may tend to act out on it.

I think that could go either way. I think some students want an easy road because they are paying for it and others are seeking attention.

I disagree, we are not investigators. These are adult students that chose to enter an academic program. We should "assist" them, in helping them help themselves.

I believe the reasons for students behavior varies but I agree that in the end the student needs to want to help themselves.

The ones who consistently challenge authority may find it very difficult out in the "real world". It is our job to prepare them for the "real world" but up to them whether they choose to learn this lesson. As someone said, these are adults. These students will probably struggle to complete the program and find employment in their choice of medical field. Lots of rules in the medical field!

All of these responses are compelling. It's a philosophical/psychological question - why particular students push against the grain. I wonder if it is a lack of life skills, coping skills, reasoning skills, that when coupled with arrested development, hard childhoods, entitled childhoods...I mean, the list can go on forever. Who knows what makes another person tick, or what has cultivated and perfected that person's issues, perspective, and therefore, performance? Sadly, most of them (and maybe some of us) have had to learn by mistakes...trial and error. We do know when we recognize someone who struggles to comply. And we can identify the ones who may lack life skills but have the heart to change and grow. We have policies and procedures,and that works fine for the most part, but if we really want to help these students succeed, it would take something more innovative. The teaching/learning of life skills is not something everyone has been fortunate enough to glean from parents, extended family, role models, or mentors. Who is teaching them good coping skills, anger management, time management, prioritization, etc. Not to mention financial education - the importance of one's credit score, managing a checking account, how to pay off bills, how to save money. I don't have statistics, but I'd venture to say that a good portion of us have had to learn by trial and error or going with the flow of social norms, afraid to test the boundaries. I think these institutions of higher education have to ask themselves how far they are willing to go to produce competent, and maybe even, compliant, members of society and the work force, and then device a plan that can accomodate the challenging students, engage them, meet them where they're at and introduce some new ways of living, being, and contributing to society. One colleague mentioned the game jeopardy - that is innovative. I think key questions are: How much do we want to help? What are we willing to do (time, resources, investment, etc.)

All valid & very true of of this generation. Of course making ourselves available and continuing to listen, will always be beneficial.

I agree that there are many reasons why students are disruptive and do not follow rules. As Educators in the Health Care field, we must educate and train our students not only in their chosen field but in professional behaviors. We must be role models and expect the best from the students. We must give them standards and expectations then hold the students accountable.

Sign In to comment