Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Misrepresentation

The advice i would give to a new employee is to get as much product knowledge and knowledge about rules and regulations as possible prior to speaking to any prospective students. That way you know whats right and whats wrong.

Excellent advice, Brian!

I would have to agree with Brian, but also if there is ever a time you are unsure how to answer a question make sure you direct them to someone that does. You don't want to make a mistake and state something that is completely wrong make sure you let them know that you will get someone that can answer that question properly.

Great point, Jenny. Finding the right source to get an accurate answer is the right thing to do.

I think that every new employee should have training on product knowledge and knowledge about rules and regulations. This should be done prior to speaking to any prospective students. That way you know what’s right and what’s wrong. If you should occur a situation that you do not know the answer to a particular question ask someone that is most knowledgeable in the field.

we should all have an adequate grasp of product knowledge to draw from, furthermore it is important to never say anything that hasnt been substatiated by the company or organiization. Only remark or speak on product informtion that is given and for any questions beyoind the scope of that knowledge, never be afraid to say i dont know but lets find out.

Marvin - I couldn't agree more regarding the need for employee training. It's critical to a school's success to provide appropriate training and guidance to new employees and ongoing given the many changes that occur over time.

Misrepresentation has been defined by the Department of Education as any false, erroneous or misleading statement made by the institution. What advice would you give a new employee that would help them to avoid inadvertently misrepresenting the institution?

The advice I would give is to know your institution inside and out and all the policies and proceedurs that is stated for your institution.

It is important to know the "do's and don't's" of the organization you are employed by. The best advice I can give is if you don't know ask someone who does.

Agreed! Never hesitate to ask the question to get the clarifcation needed to understand the organization's policies!

weather your are a new employee are season vet. having the correct training on product knowledge and rules and regulation are very important.because you are the faces of your organization. remenber if you don't answer ,get someone who does.

i see many people have mentioned getting trained properly on product which i completely agree with but the best advice I could offer someone would be if you are unsure or dont know simply say so. Many people are so affraid of not knowing that they risk providing bad information. Don't be affraid to say i dont know or I'm unsure!

Product Knowledge is very important and new and seasoned employees should alsway focus on the Permissable Language Acceptable Responses

I would definately give advice stating that even if you are not sure, it's not worth the risk guessing! That could possibly lead to the wrong answer/information. There is also a way of staying "in control" by using this example statement... "That is a very great question, let me clarify that with one of my superiors."

It's great that your institution has created the Permissable Language document as a reference to guide employees on how to handle certain communications.

Somethings are easy, like staying away from jargons. We must always learn the permissible language whenever you are in front of a student or another employee.

My advice would be to learn the policy of the school and statistics. Its easy to say the wrong thing when you arent informed. Knowledge is power!

I train all new representatives to use lauguage such as typically, usually, it will keep them out of trouble. Also if they do not know the answer to the questions then they should say "i don't know" and then find the answer. Honesty is the best policy.

That is a very good point Jenny. Many times I will hear some one say something that is incorrect. I will ask them where did they hear that from and they will say "well so and so said" There you have it. Confirm that the information received is from your supervisor, and if you still question it go higher. Do not be afraid to question, you may keep you self and school out of the hot seat just by going one step farther and one more question. (I do not like not being able to use spell check, my spelling is awful)

Sign In to comment