Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Background Checks

Is it an ethically responsiblity of the institution to ensure the potential student has an opportunity for employment?

As a Placement Office we should make every attempt to offer the graduate assistance in finding employment. With that being said, if someone has a background, it is becoming extremelly challenging to place them in the heathlcare field. Background checks should potentially become a requirement for admissions to all programs, because they are a requirement for most employment. Ethically...that is still a good question!

I feel that is is an ethical responsibility to give the student the ability to seek employment, however, even in the dental field , the dentists are requireing background checks especially because of all the HIPAA regulations and the sensitive medical information we are dealing with on an every day basis.The clinician has an ethical responsibility to protect his/her patients.

It is not ethical for an institution to state ensurability of employment. Too many variables are inherent in that statement.

I would say it is the ethical responsibility for our institution to provide the highest standard of training and develoment for every student who enrolls in our programs by providing them with job readiness and preparation in order to ensure that our students are employable.

In addition,it is our ethical responsibility for our institution to provide the appropriate learning environment that is measurable by student learning outcomes and retention to prepare committed students for immediate employment within the workforce.

David Richardson

Yes, I believe it is the ethical responsibility of our institution to ensure a potential student at least has the opportunity for employment when they are finished with their training. We must first do our part by making sure they are trained correctly and that they have ample job opportunities in the job market. The prospect must then sell themselves. It takes two.

David - I applaud yoiur statements summarizing ethical responsibilities!

I don't think it is. Helping students find work is more self serving. It ensures the school maintains a good reputation. What someone does with thier education is not a matter for judging a schools ethics. "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make her drink."

We can never ensure employment. We can simply make the student aware of the requirements necessary to be considered for employment.

While we would like for each of our students to find employment in their chosen field, it would be irresponsible of us, as an institution, to guarantee a job position.

I personally do not think that it would be wise to ensure a prospective student that they will have an employment opportunity. Granted that being in enrolled in school, the student would be provided with the knowledge and skills to hopefully one day be employed, guarantees are prohibited.

No, I think it is unethical for an institute to ensure employment. Many factors could contribute to the student finding employment and the student not finding employment. A job isn't guranteed anywhere.

I do not feel any learning institution can ensure employment upon completion of a program. We do have the responsiblity of public safety in graduating a competent, caring, and safe health care professional.

The student may not be eligible for employment if they do not have a clean background check. Some are not allowed employment if they have a criminal background because of the vulnerablility of the client or how the would be tempted to steal

I don't think that employment should be guaranteed by the school. It all depends on the graduate and who it is that is hiring them. The graduate needs to prove that they are the best fit for which ever position they are applying for and we can help with that but i don't believe that we should guarantee a job because we are not the ones doing the hiring.

I do not think it is the responsibility of the institution however, I do think that if the institution has knowledge of restrictions upon potential employees based on backgrounds that they share this with the student and have the option for a student to proceed with a background check. This wouldn't be a measure to discourage students from enrolling, it would be another tool in setting each student up for success.

i feel that is is very important to provide the background checks to esure employment for our grads... it would be terrible to enroll them and find out later about a criminal background that will hinder emloyment...

I agree, it is not ethical to enroll a student into a program such as nursing or other medical careers if they will not get a license due to their criminal background.

I agree with this. Protection of the public is our main concern.

Yes, it would be unethical to not.

Sign In to comment