Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think this is a line that must be carefully walked. On one hand we can not discriminate against any person. On the other hand, if we are sure the background of the individual is questionable due to either a criminal or illegal drug background, we are obligated to stop the process. I think we must look past the admission in this instance and look at what is best for the student. There are some programs where it is not as critical to have a spotless record. These programs usually involve blue collar trades, not clinical trades.

Not only with the protection of the public but also to guarantee student that they have a chance for employment. There are some schools that does not request for background checks and if a graduating student has a fellony this may hinder opportuniy of employment. There are past students walking around with a diploma and is unable to work because a fellony in the past that was not caught before hand.

David, I endorse your comments wholeheartdly, that is really our ethical responsibility in essence.

Great posting!!!!!

Valerie

Background checks are necessary for the student and the institution. It’s important to provide the prospective student with the requirements of the industry.

I agree. I feel it is in the best interest of the person to give them reasonable expectations. I also feel it will decrease the dissatisfaction of people coming through our programs and feeling as though we didn't do enough to help them when in reality their background is holding them back.

They may be upset at the time but, it is for the student's long term benefit that they have realistic expectations of opportunities and potential obstacles.

I think it's appropriate to inform them that we provide them with the opportunity to receive information and training for employment but cannot guarantee student succes because of the various student commitment levels.

Sign In to comment