Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would choose my dysfunctional area and focus on that area

First, I will ensure availability of the items that is needed in the area where the auditing is taking place during the audit visit date. For example:
Vacant space,Telephone,Network service,Network printer, etc...
Also, I need to arrange an hour interview in the same week that the auditing is taking place with each of the followings:Financial Aid department head, Student Accounts department head, Head of Finance, etc...

If I was on the receiving end of an audit I would prepare utilizing the following strategies;

„X Pre-Audit planning would include; conducting a meeting with all staff that will be directly involved in the audit process and review the list of items requested and develops strategies to make the audit more proficient.
„X Ensure compliance at all times by knowing the regulations the company must comply with.
„X Perform continuous self-audits to ensure accuracy and efficiency in all record management.
„X Ensure the process of filing and maintaining documentation is conducted in an organized manner and is consistent with the company policies and procedures.
„X Ensure that management has a complete understanding of the audit process, established deadlines and all other requirements.
„X Explain the audit process to the work team and request full assistance. Make certain the work team understand the timeframe of the audit process.
„X Review all related records and documentation prior to the audit.
„X Establish a contact person to work with the auditor to help answer any questions or provide documentation.

Always follow the procedures carefully, check for minor mistakes and make sure nothing is missing. Having check list on our folders to make sure that nothing has been left behind.

There is no perfect audit. However, there are ways to prevent repeated findings.
Be consistent.
Always follow your checklist.
Pull random files on a daily basis for "spot checks".
Also, keep a list of any findings so it can be corrected as soon as possible.

If the office has all policies and procedures in place, it is easy to prepare for an office. But, as humans, we make mistakes. What we do, is we do, kind of an internal audit, where one officer reviews files worked by another officer and so forth. This brings us any discrepancies in the files and we correct issues before an external audit arrives.

Stephanie,
This is a great preparation checklist. Thanks for sharing.

Traci Lee

If I were preparing for an audit, I would start by checking previous audit results and making myself familiar with findings from the past. This knowledge would give me something to keep in mind as I performed an internal audit to help avoid any repeat findings.

To be proactive or prepare, I would ensure I was able to audit at least 95% of my student records within a month period. I would audit all aspects of a defined number of student files each day to allow each student proper review.

Every year our school is audited by the DE. We prepare with a pre audit three months before to verify that everything is in order.

School Catalog - I would be proactive and make sure we (my administrative team of three)all had the current digital version available. Have the team meet on the designated Wednesday we determine would work after we all have had the time to re-read the catalog. We have the history of having created and revised the catalog together so we should have ample familiarity with it's content. Yet take this meeting with the team as an opportunity to review.

There are many areas that a school can be audited. One is the financial aid audit done yearly by an outside auditor. To prepare for this audit all year long at different intervals we are reviewing our Pell grant monies disbursements. WE are reviewing to be sure that the student was awarded the correct amount of Pell for the credits being taken during a semester. For the academic audits the files need to be reviewed of on-campus verses exited students. These files need to be complete with all documentation included necessary for compliance. For exited students it is good to pull a few files and redo the exit calculation to verify accuracy and timeliness of the calculation for title iv refunds. All in all a school needs to be proactive when it comes to audits. I feel it is always better for you to find your mistakes and short comings rather than wait for someone else to tell you, by then it is too late and the school may be on probation.

Joe,

I think the catalog is an excellent tool and resource and your plan to review with the administrative team. I have also used a "Quiz' or "Q&A" type approach for training and reinforcement of the catalog content.

Traci Lee

First and foremost, I would essentially take notes on observations provided and observed. Identifying a team member that is both knowledgeable and or most familiar with the auditing process, is an opportunity to empower and grow. I would ensure that the catalog is aligned and updated accordingly. Finally, as a team we ensure there is rigor in our preparation, clarity and organization established to the best of our ability collaboratively.

Eddie,
Another well encapsulated summary - thanks for sharing! I especially like the mention on the opportunity to empower and grow by leveraging experienced team members as "mentors".

Traci Lee

I think the best way to prepare for an audit will be to always follow all the procedures. Create checklist to make sure we dont forget any step or procedure for each student.Make sure that we are in compliance with all the requirements and that we are up-to-date.

I would create a checklist to make sure all procedures are being followed.

For a known audit or potential review, I would go back to the previous audit information on hand and review. What did we do right? What did we do wrong? More importantly has anything changed since the last audit? Has the auditor changed? What is that auditor look for exactly? We have auditors who will just stop in to see if we are a legitimate organization with real fire extinguishers. So I would try to gather all past information and see how compliant we were before and then work to maintain or achieve compliance going forward.

Amman ,
Great questions to reflect back on "rights", "wrongs", changes and what the auditor may be focused on during upcoming visits.

Traci Lee

We recently had an internal audit. In preparation for this audit, I contacted my colleagues at the other campuses (who had gone through a similar audit) to see if they could provide me with some helpful insight. The other school directors did not hesitate to share their lessons learned, best practices, etc. I also received detailed checklists which helped us to prepare for the audit. Our directors of admissions, financial aid, and student services also reached out to their counterparts (at the other campuses) and received valuable insight.

Susan,
Smart approach to reach out to those who have gone through an audit or review - and great that they were openly sharing their lessons learned. Ideally, those checklists could be used ongoing and proactively, regardless of audit schedules to do some "self reviews".

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment