Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

If a student has a complaint, I would present it to my director and to the school president. I would also inform them of the school's grievance policy which is in our school catalog. Follow-up with the student afterwards is crucial so that the student knows that we care about their concern.

Excellent point that the follow up is crucial to demonstrate the school's commitment to resolving their complaint.

Hi Todd,

I think that it is great that you take time to listen to students when they are complaining. Sometimes students just want to vent. Not becoming emotional with the student is important also. I have learned to take my emotions out difficult situations. No one likes when students complain but we can all help make changes to prevent complaints.

Thanks!

I would answer any complaints, but the complaint must be heard up the chain of command.

If a student has a complaint, I agree that the Programs Chair, Director of Education, and Campus President should address the complaint with the student and resolve it with the student.

I agree totally with Todd. Resolving the matter as soon as possible and following the chain of command makes the student happier and the school a better place. I do like the idea of Todd walking with the student to ensure that the problem is taken care of immeaditley. After all, the students are the reason we are here and their voices should be heard.

Student surveys are a great idea. Although more student surveys should be taken seriously and ideas should be implemented sooner rather then later. It seems some student's complaints/suggestions fall on deaf ears. A committee specifically designed to ensure that complaints and suggestions are handled in a timely manner is necessary. If they could meet once a week to discuss these issues and more importantly do something about them then overtime students will feel appreciated and not ignored.

when i have a student come to me with a complaint I listen and observe the student i am always sympathetic towards the student even though there is two sides to every story. i let them know i will speak to the appropiate department siince the best result always happen when you take the proper steps to solve the matter. however, i always follow up with the student the next day just to check in for any changes since we last spoke. most times they are surprise you remember and appreciate you for getting the situation resolve in a timely manner with documentation to back you up always.

Gina,
I completely agree with your comment about responding to feedback in a timely manner. It only further aggravates students if they are asked for such feedback and see no indication of it being read or heard. Even if a decision is made NOT to act on certain feedback, letting them know it was heard and the reason for opting not to take certain action may sometimes still be perceived as positive since it was acknowledged.

Traci Lee

We have the usual steps that is seems everyone else does: conduct students surveys, conduct instructor satisfaction surveys, and have a formal complaint system that the students can follow. I do find it interesting that some students will write anything in an email, letter, or survey, but then when you talk to them about it face to face, they seem to have a completely different story. Sometimes it comes off as a student complaining just for the sake of complaining, and not actually having something productive to discuss or address.

I am fairly new to this institute but in my past expierence we always took student complaints seriously because it was important that our brand was not being wrongfully put in a negative light, referrals and word of mouth is what makes a business successful. The institution would have grade cards every quater to see if our customers were satisfied and if there was anything we can improve to make the them more confortable.

Sandra,
You make some great points. I like the idea of a "grade card" approach to gathering feedback. I think providing such means for people to share their thoughts constructively is smart - as long as the information is acted upon. Even if it means communicating why a suggestion was NOT implemented, it's still important to let people know their input was heard and considered.

Traci Lee

It sseems that most of us have the same steps: conduct students surveys, conduct instructor satisfaction surveys, and have a formal complaint system that the students can follow. I also find it interesting that some people (even staff and faculty) do not realize that proper English and grammer are required in an e-mail and willwrite about anything. We have a great Student Services Director and she talks to everyone who writes a comment on the survery and reports those back to the Academics Team/. Sometimes it comes off as a student complaining just for the sake of complaining, and not actually having something productive to discuss or address.

We conduct student surveys, instructor satisfaction surveys, and we have a formal complaint system that the students can follow. We also give students surveys on things that we can improve. The Director and the Staff have in place an “Open Door Policy”.

We have a student complaint and grievance procedure that students have to appeal a decision.

Debra,
It's great that you have someone committed to responding to survey comments!

Traci Lee

Complaints come about in many shapes, forms, and fashions. In many cases, students just want reassurance they have the support they need. Sometimes complaints come about due to misinformation or miscommunication, which can be resolved in many cases just by taking the time to sit and listen to a student. Getting an understanding of root of the complaint is key to resolving it. It let's the student know we care.

Great points, Keith! I would much prefer a students to come forward with a complaint so it may be addressed properly than to have them either be silent and disappear (quit attending) or gripe to other students who aren't in a role to help handle the matter.

Traci Lee

Our institution conducts student surveys based on instructor and school satisfaction. Students are encouraged to place names on survey, but have a right not to. There are multilple "people" in place to be available for student concerns.

I too listen to their whole story. Many times I find that after listening the student is not "seeing the whole picture". I find that alot of today's students have a sense of entitlement mentality and can only see their side of things.

After listening to their side, I express the "other side or sides" to them. I find that many of them "never thought of it that way" or don't realize all the factors and possibly the other people that their complaint or change is affecting.

I also add that the career world is very similiar to the academic world in that more than just the employees of a company are affected by a change. Sometimes the whole company and CEO, etc have been affected as well.

Most times I find that showing them the other side of things is enough to resolve a complaint.

Sign In to comment