Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gail - I like your point on individual differences that should not be reflected in generalities.

Student's should be made aware of the tremendous responsibility of borrowing federal loans. Take careful consideration how much is borrowed and the potential salary of career they have chosen. They should also be made aware of the consequences of defaulting on a student loan.

Its very important to me as a professional Admissions rep. to provide accurate information regarding the program of choice in order for potential student to make a well educated determination whether the program is the right choice for them.

Jason, Wouldn't that be nice if all the work could be done in the classroom. I know when I started school my rep asked if I would be able to put in up to 20 hours per week outside of the classroom for school related work. I rarely put in that much time but I had that expectation going in so that's where I set the bar.

I feel it is the high point of the prospective student's appointment with admissions to come with questions and be a well informed consumer. However the student may not know initially what questions to ask so as the program director of dental assisting, I make a point of educating the admission reps about all the high points of my program and let them know that I am available to answer questions for the prospective student if they come up with a student that asks a question that they may not know the answer to. I am very proud of my program and I am honest and upfront with all answers.

I agree with this statement. My job is to help people, not to hinder!

I agree completely. If full disclosure and clear communication is top priority students will be able to make the best decision possible for their future and an atmosphere of trust and respect will eliminate any issue of non compliance. Its a good format for student, faculty and staff as a whole.

I really like the idea of having visuals for students. This way they can take something home with them.

Often in our type of industry in which the skills we teach are so "hands on" it is very helpful to show the student the Program Overview in which we use that has all of the fundamentals broken down for each program, color coded, hours required and accreditation. This along with the catalog is so applealing quick and easy to show. Text books as an example would also be neat for our presentation before students tour our labs and classrooms. Having all of these materials make the visit so much more of an impact on the prospective student who is out shopping our competitors.

As an institution providing a service it is our duty to disclose all material facts. As a former insurance underwriter, the onus or responsibility rest with us to disclose all material facts and so it is with academia, in order for our prospective students to make an educated decision we must disclose all the facts.

I know most students are afraid of the unknown. Being informed will give them more confidence and reduce anxiety. Not only is it our responsibility but the more the students knows of the program and schools expectations, the more empowered they will be to succeed.

I have always given the student an idea of what to expect in relation to homework also. This helps them make that well-informed decision everyone wants them to make. Its' one thing to show up in class everyday, but the effort outside the classroom is very important as well!

A student has a right to know how their time and money will be invested. Whether it is through their own research, or through talking with school representatives. If I am a potential customer for a product or service, I will do research as well as discuss my options with a representative of that pruduct or service. In both instances, we are both customers, and both deserve to have truthful and accurate information before a purchase is made.

Lauren,
Agreed - the more a customer/potential student knows about their options, the better likelihood of finding the right match.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment