Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yes i agree to the extent of having some visuals and basic info of what each section of the program will entail. This can help them relate more to what they are getting involved in and create more excitement during the potential enrollment process.

I too agree with this statement, for the most part. It is as important for the student as well as for the institution to provide all factual information to the perspective student. Opinions are not fact based, so opinions should not be used when enrolling a student. Using facts regarding a program helps a person decide whether a program is right for them as well as it helps the Admissions Rep in getting to know the perspectinve student and see if the program is a good fit for the student.

What a great idea! We change out bullitin boards every 3 months and I think we could use a display of syllabi from each program on one board. This would make a graet talking point for the Admission Reps to discuss the realities of course expectations. I'm going to run this suggestion up the flagpole for consideration!

Aligning student expectations of us with reality is a an important step that I think you make a good point on. The question is how to do that effectively? I have seen teachers do first day hand outs with "What I expect from my students" and then detailing, "What my students can expect from me" I like that type of disclosure as sometimes, we can't meet the student's expectation and it's because the discussion of realistic expectations has never been had.

As I read through the comments I was thinking that we must not forget that even when we are transparent & clear, there will still be students/people who did not understand the message you have conveyed to them. As many of you are also in education, I know you will understand what I am saying. Of course, it does not change the need to be clear & transparent.

i agree that prospective students need to know what the program they are going into entails. the represenative needs to be well informed about each program in order to give the right information. i think if they do not know what the program intails them they should be educated in that area.

I also believe that it is important to inform students of what they are about to imbark in. I believe that is also important to discuss the pros and cons of each.

Good point. The more information the student has about the institution, the better able they are to make an informed decision and the more likely they will be to complete the program. Students who are not well informed may have to withdraw, which negatively impacts both the student and the institution.

Great discussions on this thread! It would be interesting to see a study comparing retention of "highly informed" students with those who were less informed. Given disclosure requirements, such a study is likely not possible but my point is that I think factual disclosure should lead to better retention long term.

Good thoughts, Patricia. I am supportive of that plan. Being able to assess what would be required from the course is so soooo valuable. Having seen students who heard the word academic "rigor" with clear expectations during the screening process prior to being admitted to the program, did not necessarily translate to their cognitive thinking until they started perusing the text books, syllabus and curriculum content.

Offering quality and accurate information elimintes mistrust between the student and the institution.

We want committed students at our school. We provide students with required disclosures and school policies in our student handbook, prior to their enrollment. We have them sign an acknowledgment when they enroll. I also require that instructors give students class expectations and syllabi. Providing full disclosure and clear communication of standards and expectations gives students a better opportunity to prepare for and hold themselves accountable for their own success. Having a firm understanding of expectations also helps to create an atmosphere of trust and respect .

Jessica - I completely agree with your comments about expectations. Your commitment to ensuring that expectations are communicated makes such accountability possible and leads to the trusting environment you reference. Great input!

I believe it is our job as an institution to provide the prospective student with accurate information. It would be a good idea to allow students interested in a program of their choice to sit in on a class, just so they get that classroom experience.

A prospective student should understand that not all of the things required of them will all be done inside of the facility. Some students feel that they should not have requirements that require effort outside of the school.

The student has the right to make an informed decision when they are enrolling in school. They must be provided with accurate information in regards to cost, graduation rate, placements rate, etc.

I believe it is a good idea to have a sampling of the reading and / or homework assignments available to use in educating the prospective student. A course syllabus or class schedule outline would be nice to have available also.
Factual information is necessary for informed decisions and samples of the types of work help clarify the information. This makes the facts "come alive."
I also believe using the terms pros and cons may mean different things to different people. For instance this is a hard class and you will need to study 4 hours a night is not always correct. Students have different levels of study habits and abilities to absorb material quickly. So what would take one student 4 hours may take another one 2 hours. Make sure this type of information is given in "usually" or " I hear many of our students say." or perhaps leave this subject out all together.

I agree. I believe that chosing the right school is one of the most important decisions in a student's life. As an admissions representative it is our responsibility to provide prospective students with accurate information so they can make an informed decision.

Very true Charina. I have seen unethical practices at other schools. It only leads to loss of intergtiy for the school and potential harm to a students career choices. It's a lose lose situation. "Keep it Compliant!" Thats my campaign slogan! :)

I agree. We can minimize the distance between reality and perception by being transparent. This in turn could lead to improved satisfaction, increased retention, and a rise in referrals.

Sign In to comment