Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Choosing an advertising agency

Is it better to work with an agency that is experienced in school advertising or is it better to work with an agency that knows your local market?

There is a totally different approach between direct response advertising and branding. Most local agencies will be more versed in branding advertising and not in the school industry.

From our experience, schools have had better results by working with agencies that know the industry. The ability to discuss conversions, start cycles, program needs and other specifics of the industry is more valuable than local market knowledge. Basically, advertising for schools versus restaurants is more different than advertising for a school in Minneapolis versus a school in Dallas.

If you want somebody to be your strategic partner you really want somebody to know the ins and outs of the industry. At the same time, that partner does need to be willing to learn your local market.

Have you had any experience with either option?

I agree that having an agency with industry knowledge would be the best. Our college has had a local agency for the last 15 years with one (non-competitive) school as his client as well. In turn, we are fortunate as he is local. Last year we were experiencing a down-turn in our TV leads, we tried two agencies that were out of state. They had school experience, however were not able to secure the rates that our local agency did. On top of that they used an approach in their commercials similar to a telethon that just did not have the lasting power for our market. The approach simply burnt out. Ideally, if possible having an agency that is local with our industry experience is the optimum. If not, I feel the schools must take ownership on thorough training of the agency of how our business operates, and what we expect.

Agreed. An understanding of the local market and versed in the school business is ideal. That is too bad the new agencies were not able to deliver the rates and results you were looking to achieve.

You make a really good point that either way there is training responsibility that lies with the client. You are likely going to need to be a resource of information on either the industry or the local market for your agency. If it is an effective partnership there has to be an exchange of information and each party bringing knowledge to the table.

Having worked with several advertising agencies, I find that they all seem to have the same approach and if you watch the TV all the commercials for schools look alike. I am in a small market with little competition so the "big market" approach does not work as well for me.

I was considering an agency that is not experienced in the school business but made the decision that I did not have the time or money to educate them on the school business while I was starving from lack of leads.

That is often the decision making process that schools have to go through in finding a partner. Do the benefits of local knowledge outweight the knowledge of an industry agency.

How much difference have you experienced from working with different agencies in the past?

I really haven't found any one agency better than another. The ones I have worked with have all pretty much done things the same way.

As someone who as worked for both an in-house career school advertising agency and someone who is now responsible for marketing at a much smaller school...the difference between those with school experience and those without, to me, is cavernous. Anyone who has no experience in the school business pitches the same thing over and over...frequency and reach, frequency and reach...and while that is necessary...if the inquiries aren't coming in it doesn't matter how many people see the ad!

Marci

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Yes, and both are needed in my opinion.

I think the best way to get the best out of your advertising agency is by keeping a good balance (in between what they know about you and about your local market). Not all the agencies are going to know about everything, you will have to work together (with the agency) in order to get more out of them.

I think it may be possible to acheive better results with an agency that does not specialize in school advertising.

My logic is this: Every time I talk to agencies that specialize in schools, I hear the same things I've heard before. I know they are selling me the same ideas they are selling my competition. I'm intrigued by the idea of finding a great agency that doesn't know much about schools. I think I can bring the industry knowledge to the collaboration and rely on the agency to bring a fresh perspective.

Your thoughts?

I would recommend to speaking to someone who has transitioned to an agency without school experience and what that was like. In my experience the agencies that are not specialized in the needs of our industry try traditional DR buys and do not have the tracking capabilities and real time reporting that is needed to stay on track and up to date. They are not accustomed to the quickness that changes need to be implemented, nor are they familiar with the industry jargon and goals. Some of the reason the ideas sound the same is that there are fundamental elements that are successful. It is the same reason there are lots of smiling medical assistant ads in the paper, they make the phone ring.

We have found that when the decision is made as to which agency will handle our goals, it is to our advantage to teach/show the agent the various factors involved in our type of business. This channel is always open so that when a question arises, they are able to answer as we would.

We do everything in house for the most part. Having worked with an agency in the past that really knows the school business, we often found ourselves the victim of preemptions due to the agency pushing for the lowest rates possible. My other concern was the fact they were not in our market. On the creative side having an agency already educated is very helpful. Have met with agencies with no career school experience however we just do not have the time to give them hands-on training. Not worth the risk of low results.

Glad you had a good experience on the creative side. It is very important to have an agency with a knowledge of the education business. Although it is great to have low rates, you can't sacrifice clearance and response.

Sign In to comment