Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Special Programs

This was the shortest section with the greatest power. The ideas listed in this chapter were simple and easy to implement. Sometimes we are looking ahead that we forget to look in our own backyard.

I am looking forward to implementing some of these ideas.

Thank you for the ideas!

Arlene

Hi Arlene

Good point about the fact that good publicity doesn't have to be fancy or even implemented by an outside agency. It is about seeing who and what is around you, contacting them in one way or another, and then following up and being consistent.

It takes a while to put a publicity plan in place. But once in place all the activities can be almost automatic. In fact, many can be automated and put on the tickler list of selected staff.

The creative part starts with being awake and aware.

Look forward to more of your ideas.
Best wishes
Susan

I am in awe that I did not realize the potentiol for continueing graduate relationships. I am very intersted in the mentoring program, I am going to have to do more research on this and see if it applies to our school. To my knowledge ,no similar schools are using this avenue. Great Ideas, cant wait to use them!
Gloria

Gloria
Are you referring to alumni programs as a way to stay in touch with grads? Many schools automatically make every grad a member of the alumni association. Alumni continue to get mailings from the school. This encourages them to enroll in continuing education or other programs and to recommend your school to others. Lots of possibilities with mentoring. Student to student, staff to student, instructor to student, grad to student, or employer to student, to name a few. Generally improves retetention as well as admissions.
Susan

TOTALLY AGREE. MENTORING IS VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE IS MAKES THE STUDENTS FEEL THAT THEY ARE IMPORTANT TO US, THAT WE CARE FOR THEM AND THAT ONLY CAN WORK VERY POSSITIVE FOR THE ADMISSIONS DEPARTMENT AND BENEFIT THE SCHOOL OVERALL.

Hi Cari
The task here is to consider what programs to offer and then how they can be structured as a student service at your school. With mentoring you have many options. You can pair staff and faculty with students, students with students, and students with grads. You can make the program formal or informal. You can survey results and look at student retention and success. As a public relations tool it tells everyone that your school is student friendly and does everything possible for a student to succeed.
Best wishes
Susan

From this section, I learned how important it is to have internships! Internships not only further the idea that you care about business in your own community, but it truly is a great tool for publicity. By providing a superior Internship program/experience, and gaining such a reputation, imagine the word of mouth advertising that could be generated by highly qualified individuals/students who apply for the position! Flyers or posters announcing the opportunities also double as advertising for your business.

Hi Lily
You definitely have a feel for public relations and marketing. Internships are great ways for the comunity to learn about your school and for students to get experience and jobs. When an internship sponsor learns about your school. they might send their current employees for training. Flyers and posters that get attention are a great way to let folks know about your school too.
Best wishes
Susan

This Course has been very helpfull. I espescially
like the surveys. It is so true that if you are not being seen then your doing something wrong. If you do not survey you will never know.

Touching Palms Massage Inst.

HI Freda Yes, constant measuring is vital in all areas of running a school. There is a lot to measure in career services. How many students got jobs? Are the jobs in their field? If not, in what fields? Do students continue with their education? In their same job? How long did it take to get a job? How long do they stay on the job? How long does it take to gain advancement? What are the salary ranges? And on and on. Then you can see what is going well and what improvement is needed. Best wishes, Susan

I agree.Many resources are in front of us.Sometimes other schools who your students have gone to have compatable coruses and those students and schools can refer to each other.ie skin care and massage. Dr. George Najemian

Hi George

Lots of ways to work with other schools - even those that appear to be competitors. The goal is to provide people with the best training and continuing education. Some school owners have formal alliances where a student starts in one school, graduates, and then is able to get an advanced degree or training in the next.
Best,
Susan

Great ideas and also it is a great reminder that
publicity comes in many fashions and that one can and should test market and use as many ways to market as they can manage. This will ultimetly show the most productive marketing activities.

Hi Steven
Great summary about marketing in general. Get the word out about your school always and all ways. Be sure you are reaching all segments of your community that can benefit from knowing about your school offerings. You don't always have to pay for advertising. In fact, sometimes the best marketing is when it is little or no cost involved.
Best wishes
Susan

I agree completley. I am too very much looking forward to implementing some of these ideas!

Our agency are having growing pains,in the area of finance. we know that we have the expertise to service the needs of the community but we being looked over what can we do

Byron

HI Byron
Can you be more specific with your comments? Sounds like you offer great training but some how the community is not aware of your school? Or does not see your school as a resource? And are you saying that budgeting is an issue? Identifying the problem and bringing it to staff brainstorming sessions could start to bring answers.
Best wishes, Susan

With ideas and motivations from the past few chapters, I have printed out our student's names, phone numbers and email adresses since the school's inception in 1989. I have begun the arduous task of calling every person to check on them. To see if they need employment assistance or continuing education. If I can't reach them on the phone, I am sending them a letter in hopes they're still at the same address.
The students from 10 years ago and older are really appreciating the call. They love to know they are thought about. Thank you for the suggestions...

Wow, Rob - Great to hear about your project. Let us know the results. Now it will be a great idea to stay in contact with grads on a more regular basis. Maybe every month for a year. Then 6 times a year. Or just send an information packed newsletter every month. Lots of opportunities when you stay in touch with people who have attended your school. Best wishes, Susan

We stay in touch with all our grads, who automatically go on our mailing list and receive twice-yearly mailings of our brochure of offerings. We believe this is highly effective, since our offerings build on each other and thus grads are encouraged to continue their education.

Although I am intrigued about the possibility of starting a quarterly newsletter, I am somewhat concerned about the cost in terms of staff time to produce it.

Sign In to comment