Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Catalog on Website

I thought it a great idea to have a catalog on-line that the potential student can download. Anybody else have this already? Has it been a helpful tool for Admissions?

Hi Janet

My guess is that if you asked 20 admissions reps should there be an online catalog half would say yes and half would say no. Many schools don't want details easily available to prospects, and particularly tuition. They think that if the student is shopping by price that the lowest tuition school would "win." Our opinion is that you can include a lot of catalog information on webpages so students have enough to think about so they will call or email their questions.
Best wishes
Susan

We do have our catalog on our website and we find it quite effective. We also have online registration for some classes, and will be adding more. I think the more we can accomplish online the better, eventually including online classes. We're out to capture the widest audience possible!

HI Reinaldo
Many many schools have discovered that their website can be structured as a source for highly qualified leads, valuable information to students, grads, and others, and a way to provide online training. The key is to be sure your admissions reps are trained to respond effectively to internet leads, that your website is structured to be user-and search-engine friendly, and that you understand the technology needed to deliver online programs. This really points to the need for a lot of human, financial, and technical resources to be focused on internet marketing and course delivery. Best wishes, Susan

We have it on ours. It's an excellent tool for admissions and helps get the prospect thinking about specific questions to ask at their admissions interview. More info on the website makes it more likely that they can get their routine questions answered on the site, rather than at the admissions interview,leaving more of their actual interview time for finding out their motivation, dreams and goals, and making sure we're a good fit for them and vice versa.

HI Barbara

Very good information. Looks like your goal is to be sure your applicants are well informed about your school and programs before they get to the admissions interview. We find that even if the applicant is advised about the features and benefits of going to your school, they often don't hear what is being said or remember. And you are right on target knowing how important it is for the applicant to understand the job for which they are training and what the training process is all about. Really good points. Thanks, Susan

To have your catalog online is very important. Students want their information fast and many of them don't want to wait days for their catalog to arrive. When our students call in they have only a few specific questions before they sign up. Everything else they gathered from the website.
Another important part are updates. Any updates to courses, schedule or other important information can be done immediately. If you have to add anything to your existing catalog you either have to make an Addendum to your catalog or reprint. An Addendum does not look professional and reprinting a catalog is very expensive.

Thanks Karin. We also think that a school catalog should be downloadable from the school website. Not all school owners agree. There are always pros and cons to anything. Some school owners think that it is more likely that a candidate will visit the school if the catalog isn't easily available. We think that most candidates are doing a lot of comparison shopping and will tend to be interested in the school that makes the catalog available. This also supports the argument to have a well optimized website for optimal search engine positioning. Thanks, Susan

We are currently in the process of building our website for our school. One of the options on the website will be an online catalog.
I believe that it will be very useful for the students to see what courses were available.

Robert - we also agree that it's a good idea to add the online catalog. There are pros and cons. We want prospective students to be as informed as possible about the school. It creates a better admissions process. We hope you include a lot about your placement and alumni services. Not a lot of schools do so that can differentiate you from you competition. Thanks, Susan

Thank you, Dr. Schulz I will take all of your points and let my web designer know. I definitely would like to have information on placement and alumni services. I want the students to see the whole picture of our school and know without a doubt that this is the choice for them.

Contact us about how to set up and run an alumni association. susan@susanfschulz.com

Check out our website for information on Alumni services. http://www.susanfschulz.com

It's on the home page.

Also - MaxKnowledge offers a course on placement that I facilitate. PL101

And - let us know your email and will send you more information on Alumni Associations and how easy they are to set up and how quickly they differentiate your school from your competition. Thanks, Susan susan@susanfschulz.com

Hi Janet!
I've recently made our school's catalog available on our website.
I have found that it is more convenient for the staff and saves us lots of money in postage. You should make sure that you have a way to track who is downloading your catalog. In order for them to receive a password to download the catalog, they must give us a name, email address and phone number.

Good Luck
Connie

Connie,
Sounds like a great idea. I know that many schools require the prospect to call or visit to get the catalog. I think a lot of potential students are lost. But a password might increase the number of people viewing your catalog. It can also solve the problem of finding out who is showing interest. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

We have found it very helpful as some of the potential students want to do some research on their own without feeling the pressure of someone trying to convince them to come to school. This also makes it easier for them to know our accrediting body, leadership, and specifics on the courses they will be taking. We also provide a online chat so that if they do want further information or clarification they can be transferred to one of our Admissions representatives. A downside on a having it posted maybe that some will make a decision on a school base only on price and this may not be the best for some of them. For example, I have encountered students who needed more 1-1 attention and small classroom in order for them to be succesful. With local colleges with lower tuitions, this particular student would not be succesful. Thank You

Ludin,
All great strategies. Thanks. Many career schools don't post their catalogs because of the tuition issue and potential misunderstandings. We suggest you delete with a note to contact the school for details. Also you might want to consider a formal way for prospective students to talk with Alumni. Grads are usually seen as very credible resources. Of course you'll need to coach your Alumni to answer correctly and follow the admissions guidelines of your regulatory agencies. You are right, prospective students want information about whether the program is for them. They especially want to know all the services you provide to assist them in getting a job. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I like that idea...I think you need to know who is getting your information and this gives you another lead to use for enrollment expecially if the perspective student is just shopping around.

Ginny,
Ways to reach prospective students are all around us. We just have to be alert to strategies we have been missing. Why not see what happens if you look at every person who calls, visits, or contacts your school as a prospective student or who knows a prospective student. How would you talk with them differently? What would you give them and how would you follow knowing that each person knows a student who is interested in enrollment. Don't forget about alumni who are great sources for leads. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment