Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Bus Stop Benches

Some bus stops have benches for commuters to sit while awaiting the bus. I often see advertisements on the backside of the benches. I'm sure this would be great en lieu of a billboard. I imagine it would also be more cost effective. Does anyone know how to use this form of advertisement?

Hi Jon

In addition to cost, you might want to ask yourself if your programs have a wide appeal. And an appeal to people who ride busses. Whatever you decide, be sure to put measurement strategies in place to evaluate the number and quality of leads.
Best wishes
Susan

Hi Jon,
I tried the bus benches once and it did not work.

Our school is situated close to an important road so I had the same idea as you did, that it would be cost effective as compared to a billboard.

The result was not good, we had signed a three month contract with the company and we probably got no more than three calls in the first two weeks, after that the city started to do some public works and we had a lot of debris around our sign also they moved it, so that it was difficult to see from the road. When we complained, we were told that it was good to pedestrians (which were non existent in the Florida summer) and after endless calls we finally gave up with these people.

My recommendation, if you are planning to do it, is that they agree in writting, to move you to a spot that is as convenient, to YOU not them, as the original one, in case of public works or anything else that might cause loss of visibility, or else you can terminate the contract.

Mary.

HI Mary and Jon

Really great points for those considering bus bench ads. One of the first things to also consider is how many programs you offer and if they are varied enough to appeal to the general public. The general public is who will see bus stop bench ads. Further, these are people who don't have a car. The question to ask is - is this your target market. In fact, whenever marketing is considered, that's one of the first questions to pose. Does this strategy reach our target market.
Best wishes
Susan

Hi Susan,

Bus benches (at least in my area) are placed in a way that can be seen from the road when you are driving, I have found myself, several times, reading bus benches, while I am stuck in traffic, so it is something for everyone to see like a billboard, but very iexpensive (Except if sombody seats on it!). I think it could have been good publicity, at least to make the name of the school known to everybody that drives that way to work, but we had a bad experience because of the public works and the terrible company we hired.

Mary

Good points, Mary. Bus bench ads tend to be inexpensive. And they do help to establish the name of the school in the community. So it may be more of a public relations tactic than getting leads.
Best wishes
Susan

God to hear from others experience. Our Campus is located in Florida and usually benches grab my attention when Im driving so I tought it could be a costeffective strategy. I think I might give it some more tought and as Susan mentions, first I have to decide whats is the purpose of placing the ad on the bench and being able to measure the results. That way I know if it was successfull.

HI Jessica
Great continued discussion about bus stop benches. Other thoughts - do you target a specific market or have wide appeal? Wide appeal would say benches could work. Are you looking for PR value so everyone learns you are a source for training? And you won't be disappointed if enrollment doesn't directly increase as a result of the benches? Lots to consider. Deciding on the results you want to measure and doing the evaluation will help with decisions.
Best wishes
Susan

We are targeted to Hispanic Adults, 23 years of age or older, who have had some postsecondary education.

At first I tought about the benches just to let people know we are around because we are new in this area. But is a matter of deciding whats more important. Is difficult when you have budget limitations and have to choose between PR or recruitment strategies, particularly at this stage of introduction.

Hi
Interesting dilemma. Have you thought of other ways to let people know you are around? If you are on a main street can a student stand outside the school with a sign. I knew of a school called American Institute. They dressed someone up like Uncle Sam and he stood on the road with a sign about the school and class start dates. Sounds a bit hokey but it worked. And they had some marketing funds left over for other things. Have to think out of the box.
Best wishes, Susan

Great idea. Ive seen the strategy of someone dressed up in the street for companies that file taxes. The best things is it doesn't cost a lot of money.

Right - you can get students to volunteer. Lots of hams in the classroom!

We currently use one bus stop bench. I am planning to increase the bench advertisments and use arrows on the signs to direct traffic to the school, and not just advertise the school. Since we are on a main road, I am also planning to promote the school with large bus stop posters, not just benches. Both are much cheaper than traditional TV/Radio promotion and become more of a permanent fixture in the community when you buy in bulk over a longer period of time. This added signage I believe will increase the schools presence in the community.

Bus stop benches do attract a lot of attention and get a lot of viewership. The goal is always to measure results in terms of quantity and quality of prospects. This also assumes that your school has great signage and it is easy to find. Sounds like you are doing a lot of comparing what marketing strategies bring the best results. Most community outreach approaches are successful and increase referral and word of mouth opportunities. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment