Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting the word out

We have many ways of getting the word out to the community. We do send newsletters, periodic press releases, and news articles to industry related papers.

At this point I do most of the public relations, but I am not formally in charge. It is in addition to my current duties.

I think it would be great to come up with a calendar of when certain things should be sent or published so that our efforts could be more consistent and organized. I will probably try to do that in the next week or so, present it, and see what happens.

Hi Shelly
Really great points. Everything you are doing is very effective. When an article is published you can reproduce it and send as a flyer or post it on a bulletin board. It can be used for follow ups or send to students and grads. Great idea to have a calendar with dates to send out notices. Most media have "what's happening" and meeting sections where they list events. Generally they are happy to list what is going on and open to the public.
Good job. Susan

Organization is the key for success. I think it is a great idea to have a calendar to guide us day by day (because it reminds us when is the right time for the next step)

Great point, Fiorella. It takes a while to develop a publicity calendar. But once in place it should have deadlines that articles and information are submitted to the media and the number of times you want to hold events or develop news. A calendar is a plan. And we believe 90% should be spent in planning. And of course evaluating. Best wishes, Susan

Sign In to comment