Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Bulding Relationships will lead to success

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jaimie; I am a new employee to my college. I have previously worked for a specialized college and had to open up and maintain my own territory. I had no contacts and no previous data to pull from. I am a firm believer in building and maintaining relationships. I developed many relationships with guidance counselors, teachers and even associations to get the word out about my college. The best way to generate new students and make lasting relationships is to meet as many people as you can and stay in touch with them. Whether it's a friendly hello just to see how there doing or a Christmas card!

My current school attends all to the college fairs/ nights but does not do much in the way of making it a point to meet with one counselor from every high school. I believe the best way to reach new students is through there counselors, which always make college recommendations!

Good Luck,

Jaimie

Hi Jaimie
Sounds like your employers hired you to bring new ideas to the school and really develop the department. We totally agree with you that it's all about developing and sustaining relationships. And it is so easy. Often a school is the best kept secret in town. But if school owners followed your formula the school would be the best known training center in town. And a place to look to for training, placement, career information, and more. So keep it up. Sounds like you are doing great. Susan

I just recently started formulating relationships with outside counselors and colleagues in the field. I found that this has helped tremendously. In addition, one of our admissions representatives suggested we have cards created so they can be sent out on holidays, birthdays, or even just as thank you cards just as you had suggested Christmas cards. Clients as well as colleagues have been very receptive and appreciative of just this small gesture.

Hi Myung, It is amazing what great results occur with small but meaningful gestures. There are hundreds of strategies that can easily be implemented with great results. One is to place 5 calls a day to people you can network with or who can spread the word about your school. Best wishes, Susan

Hi!

I agree that meeting and keeping good relations with professional contacts is the best way to build student enrollment. I am a massage school owner and educator and I make it a point to go above and beyond with the community and potential employers.
Every person that walks through the door of the school, is always treated with courtesy. Student clinics are a great way to market the school too! People that come in for a massage can see exactly what the students are learning and can take with them tips on maintaining their health and wellness.
During clinic hours, I spend 5-10 minutes with each client and personally assess their needs before they have their massage. This gives the school a more hands on effect then just herding them in one by one for a massage. I've been told by many that the school is the "communities best kept secret".

Thanks
Connie

Connie,
Sounds great Connie. There are many forms of community outreach. You are doing a great job with your clinic and going the extra mile to show you are a great resource for training, massage services, health, and more. All career schools can implement some form of community outreach and use massage and cosmo schools as examples. The goal is to also reach the area employers on a regular basis to understand and meet their needs.
Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I recently took a position in a brand new market where the school is not well known. Furthermore, our competitor has taken advantage if the lack of our presence and has established strong relationships within the community. For example, while attending a Chamber of Commerce event, I quickly realize that the organizer was giving them special attention and special times eventhough they invited me as a first timer. Building relationships can take some time if one is brand new to the market and realistic expectations has to be set. The key is to be consistent and resilient to meet and connect as many people in the community. Most importantly is to maintain these relationships. Thank You

Ludin,
Sounds like your competition has done you a favor. You now know all the things that work in your community and can do the same but only better. You can also use the strategies and join all the other organizations in town and let your presence be known. Most of all you have to deliver superior training and superior student services. Your school needs to be customer service oriented. An Alumni Community will help to stay in touch with your community. (By the way, MaxK offers a great Alumni Community course.) It sounds like you have a fun and challenging opportunity to show why the "new guy" in town is the best. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment