Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The opportunity to get to know students' needs

Working as advisers, gives us the opportunity to learn about students' needs. How to use that information to benefit the student's academic growth?

Miriam - Absolutely! Being an admissions professional allows a great opportunity to learn about our students. How do you think that information can be utilized to benefit the student? I also encourage others to provide their input.

I agree. Its would seem as though the "counseling" aspect certainly comes into play when getting to know prospective student. As we get to know them we are able to provide effective solutions!

An important part of the process is to be able to recognize and admit if my school doesn't provide what the student is looking for.

Getting to know the students allow you to build raport and know their true needs. Understand if teh student is going back just becuase they want a better job or is more about a personal connection. Will the student be teh first student in tehir family to complete a degree. It also lets you know if the college is a good fit for them.

Patrick, this is a great point. Sometimes, we have to do what's best for the student. Thanks for sharing this.

Dr. Jean Norris

I believe that being an adviser is a privilege. It allows us the opportunity to serve our inquiries with their true needs. As mentioned in this Module, even if we are not the right school for them, guiding them with the true information will help them build trust and rapport, not only with us, but the representation that we make on our school. Thus, allowing them to spread the word out that we are here to help.

I agree. Establishing and maintaining rapport is essential to establish a trust relationship and uncovering the students needs and reasons for continued education. Learning the reasons behind their decision, how they feel they will benefit from the education, and their future goals will pay huge dividends in future conversations to keep them focused and goal orientated.

As the Director of Education my admission's director keeps me informed of any students who have struggled in high school for example and IEP or other issues such ADD. This allows me to met with the student and offer help such as tutoring or organizing their notebook, or teaching them how to study. As a result of this information and meeting with the student helps relieve some of their anxiety and knows I'm willing to help them be successful in their career choice.

Sign In to comment