Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Introductory Module

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Introductory Module

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I thought the definition and expansion of “global competence” into component parts were well-conceived and easy to understand for a student.  The lesson also included good visuals that captured the message without distracting.

I like the diversity perspective presented as that is at the essence of assimilating globalization among people.  There are pertinent lessons for the domestic level as well, perhaps even helping students to bridge the domestic gap by viewing broader global cultures.  There are excellent parallels to be drawn at the comparative country level with the domestic sub-group level.  Presenting both can improve respect for diversity.

The Introductory Module provided an excellent foundation for learning more about Global Competency and its importance to future work places. I found it interesting that the paradigm shift in education is to "communicate, connect and collaborate" internationally.  Preparing students to work and act globally can enrich their experience in academia and beyond. 

I'm a hospitality instructor where  an international influence is prevalent, particularly in the history of cuisines, and wines. I envision students engaging in curriculum and projects that will prepare them for global opportunities in the fast growing expatriate role in international lodging and tourism. 

I was only able to see the short video introduction and did not have access to any other material in this module.

Ignore my previous post.  It took me a few tries before I realized I was not supposed to click the NEXT, but instead click the START embedded in the video on the first page.  The definition of global competence included "Possession of the knowledge, skills, and diposition to understand and act creatively on issues of global significance."  I am currious how we can instil a disposition in our students; knowledge and skills can be taught. 

Module 1 had some useful activities in the toolkit that I intend to implement in class.

I have integrated Global Comptence Modules into my Hospitality & Tourism courses.  Students are required to complete the four modules to earn credits.  In the meantime, our program at University of Hawaii Maui College is organizing a webinar focusing Regenerative Tourism on Island Community. The webinar is scheduled for November 17th, 2021- the date falls under the International Eduaction Week 2021. With facultys instructions and guidlance, students are doing a collaborative work reseraching on UH SDGs and Global Competences.  Faculty and students of  Hospitality and Tourism at the UH Kauai Community College, and the Univeristy of the Ryukyu, Japan will be part of the project.  

The introductory module is useful in its explanation of what the course is intended to do - link international activity to the work done in the classroom.  I teach the History of Furniture course at Harper College.  Chinese and Japanese furniture and design is already a part of the course but I plan to expand the treatment of Asian furnishings.  

I think that the definition of global competence was very useful. In addition, I thought it was interesting that the video mentioned that while English is the language of business, students should be prepared to do business in situations where English isn't the lingua franca. 

I teach International Business so we are always applying it. I have had students work as part of the Stevens Initiative where they have had the opportunity to work with students in the Middle East. I always try to allow students to have the opportunity to really roll up their sleeves and get into it. 

I would guess that more than one in ten of our students in Interior Design at Harper College is foreign-born so the opportunity to empshasize an international outlook is strong.  There are a lot of opportunities to educate the students born in the U.S. about other cultures and opportunities in other nations.  An Iranian-born student has presented information on Perisian design, and explained to her classmates the background of the complex patterns found in Iranian decorative arts.  I am fortunate that I can learn along with the students in my classes, thanks to the many students born in other nations.

I found the definition of Global Education to be helpful, as well as the toolkit and the student assignments. The course appears well-organized and professionally designed.  I am looking forward to learning more about the subject. 

Reply to Jim Trepka's post: I did the same thing. 

I am going to apply what I learn in this course by offering it to faculty at my college for professional development. I also intend to pilot the student learning modules.

The speaker in the definition of global competence is way too fast, imo. 

Global education is a broad encompassing definition.  It enables one to change their way of thinking in terms of workforce development.  I plan to incorporate more information on international careers and learning opportunities.   

Things were clearly explained and done so in a way that encourages you to move into the content.  I'm already excited to look at some of the specific faculty resource guides.

I think the point that is brought up about how internationalizing CTE programming can support an institution's goal of a more diverse/inclusive student body is a good one, as well as the points addressing increased engagement.  in a year(s) where many faculty have had to pivot a lot and are feeling stretched thin, this emphasizes the "why" in a way that also helps to support ongoing work.

I lead the NC Scholars of Global Distinction certificate for our campus, and can see how this introduction could help many of our CTE teachers communicate the "why" of global education to their students, as well as help administrators see why it is valuable as well.  Equity, diversity and inclusion are educational aims that community colleges are well poised to serve, and your introduction also hits some of our institutional goals like persistence. 

Personally, I am interested in the partnerships module and the one on technology and social media as well. 

I was especially intrigued by the many applications of global competence. While I encourage global investigation through course activities and projects, I realized I could do more to simply recognize differing perspectives as part of my classes. In my culinary arts program we spend a decent amount of time exploring global flavors and cooking methods; generally speaking, this gives us a chance to look at different preferences and norms. This introductory unit has helped me see that I could do more to create these conversations intentionally in a way that welcomes critical thinking and reflection for my students. 

Additionally, I liked the challenge to ask globally significant questions. Often in our curriculum we get stuck on the tradition of how things are done, when really we should take that information and see how the world is adapting and changing constantly. I think this will help students be more aware and able to be part of the global workforce as outlined in this unit.

I'm excited about learning more.  I think the focus on empathy, learning that "my" viewpoint is not the only one (and not the only "correct" one) will serve our students very well.

Sign In to comment