Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Defining Characteristics of Successful Programs | Origin: LC101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Role of CTE in High School Improvement --> Defining Characteristics of Successful Programs

As you think about the characteristics of successful schools, which are the characteristics your school currently exhibits and which are several that you should aspire to?

Take a few minutes to post your response and learn more from your peers.

Something that is successful in my school is the relationships that teachers and administration have with students and vice versa. Something that I think we could do a better job of is the relationship with administration and teachers. Open communication, support, being genuinely curious and involved in what is happening in the classroom. I love going into the different CTE classes to see what is happening and how the kids are interacting with the teachers. 

Our core team takes great pride in strong relationships and trust with each other. We spend time at work and outside of work hours to get to know each other and collaborate when possible. We could certainly do better and understanding each other's strengths and capitalizing on those when working on projects.

Relationship building has seen an increased focus this year although it's been a part of our values for awhile.  Increasing collaboration between subject teachers and collaboration across subject areas also a focus this year

Greenvlle High exhibits the characteristic of teamwork:  we promote the idea of global learners working together towards common goals while respecting each other's individuality.  

Establishing a classroom climate that is inclusive and engaging is key to the success of a CTE program. I think that the challenge lies in moving students from engagement to empowerment- anyone can create activities that will pique students' interests, but moving toward accountability and autonomy in the classroom is the goal. I liked the suggestion to have students record themselves presenting and then review their work with a rubric. 

We currently do an excellent job with school culture and stretch learning in general. Our teachers and staff truly like eachother and enjoy interactions inside and outside of the classroom. We probably need to do a better job of using data schoolwide. Currently we use data fairly well within indiviudual program pathways, however, data pictures for the entire school would help us develop a better understanding of our progress toward developing more well-rounded students with better soft skill development. 

Culture and climate are the synergy that operates daily with the school.  This synergy comes from daily morning get together among all staff for about ten minutes and then every staff member having lunch together.  The scheduling of these collaborative teams is made possible because the staff and myself find them valuable.

Our CTE programs offer stretch engagement for core curriculum that provides real world, hands on learning. Our usage of restorative practices engenders empathy and personal skills.

Our school culture is distinguished by the open dialogue and feedback between the staff and administration. TalkSup allows for staff to express concerns directly to the Superintendent without fear of reprisal as no names are used only the issues are addressed. We can do a better job of implementing stretch learning and are in the early phases of making this change.  Our Ag classes have joint lessons with our Chemistry and Biology departments. Our English instructors work with our business department to aide students with resume writing. However, we need to place more expectations on all our core courses to expand their PBL with real world scenarios.

Sign In to comment