Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Suicide Realities | Origin: EC120

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teacher's Guide to Suicdie Prevention --> Suicide Realities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

For me, the number one thing I need to remember is to listen and not try to "fix" the problem. 

Im going to stay in contact with students at risk and try to stay connected, so I can measure their situation.

Objectively seeking positive/neutral terms for use in discussions never occured to me.  It seemed like spinning a concept of encouragement at first.  I then realized that it is more a way to destigmatize the conversation and make it an issue that is supposed to be talked about.  I will work to change my attitude regarding language and to keep the conversation alive.

It is important to know all the warning signs of suicide. 

SPTS is a good to connect with. I think being proactive is key to a good interaction with students. 

How we respond when faced with a student having suicidal thoughts may be the difference between that student attempting to take their own life or not.

Recognizing that a student is experiencing emotional pain and taking action by giving them the immediate support they need is a plan all teachers should be aware of. 

Sign In to comment