Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We have a number of attorneys teaching in our paralegal program that are approved to teach a variety of legal specialty classes. They enjoy teaching and can step in at the last moment to replace someone who cannot be scheduled.

If an instructor were to become ill or otherwise unable to continue teaching a class in progress, a variance could be necessary.

Do schools who do not have to submit instructor applications to CSC for approval have to submit a variance for approval?

Doyle,
I believe that if your program offered is at the associate-level and is not regulated by the TWC CSC, you would not need to submit a variance for approval. Programs regulated by the TWC CSC (diploma/certificate) would require a variance for instructors who do not meet the requirements. This is true even though you keep the applications on file at the school (not sent in to TWC CSC) for your instructors who do meet the requirements. If you have a specific situation, you can always check with your TWC CSC contact person to be sure of how to proceed.

JP Mehlmann

JP,

So, is it best to be covered and have a required documents from the start from instructors? For example, if a school has been approved for Bachelor programs, the school will be required to ask for documentation showing diploma, transcripts, and teaching experience ready for filing prior to start of a program?

Minnie,
Bachelor programs are not subject to review or regulatory oversight of the TWC CSC (since they ARE subject to Accrediting review - provided your accrediting body is approved by the TX Higher Education Coordinating Board). That said, I agree that it is best to have official transcripts and any other documentation prior to the instructor teaching a class. You want to make sure the person's credentials are valid and verified prior to having that person teach a class.

JP Mehlmann

Your are correct Carla, it takes quite a bit of searching to find an instructor who is both fully qualified in the professional industry but also has the unique skill sets of a great instructor

Possibly if the required previous years experience is not clear as to being 100% valid for the course(s) we want the instructor to teach.

The policies and guidelines are in place to protect not just the customer (student) but the educational institution also.

I do not this we should ever attempt to go around the prescribed guidelines to gain approval through TWC on a perspective instructor.

Students deserve the opportunity to learn from someone that is qualified in the areas need to support the education objectives of an organization. When attempt is make to request a variance from the guidelines the overall student experience can suffer and expose an organization to additional challenges that cam affect the educational institutions abilities to remain compliant.

Thomas,

In this situation, first, I suggest you thoroughly describe the prior duties to see where the person's experience matches the course(s). Another suggestion is to obtain correspondence from the former employer of the candidate, attesting to their competencies. In this regard, a job description from the former employer could help document your candidate's qualifications.

JP Mehlmann

Harvey,

I agree except that there may be exceptions such as career fields that do not have corresponding degrees available. Exception is the key word. Variance requests should be rare.

JP Mehlmann

I agree that the school should keep a qualified pool of candidates in case the need arises and you need to get a class covered. We go one step further by having our instructors cross trained in multiple courses. This gives the campus more options when coverage is needed and gives the students the best learning experience possible in the classroom and lab settings.

Jimmy,
That sounds like a good backup plan, as long as the instructors are qualified per TWC CSC rules, for every course taught.

JP Mehlmann

When hiring from industry, as we do for all of our instructor positions we sometimes find that some specific requirements may include expired industry certifications. Because recertification occurs only once or twice a year a varience may be needed to give the new instructor time to test and recertify.

Dave,

I don't see a requirement for industry certifications on the TWC CSC instructor application form. Is that an internal requirement for your school?

JP Mehlmann

It is a requirement of our accreditation.

One would have to submit a variance to TWC if an instructor did not meet some the qualifications required such as having a high school diploma/GED but only 4 years of experience in the field they would be teaching in (as opposed to the require 5 years required), or having the 2yrs experience in field and an AAS Degree with only 9 quarter credit hours (as opposed to the 12 quarter hours required in the field to be taught).

Michael,
These are viable examples. As stated in the prior threads, a variance request should be the exception. If you hire an instructor under a variance, be sure to review the TWC School Director's Resource guide - there is a whole section on this subject, including actions to be taken to document the instructor's performance.

Sincerely,

Joe P. Mehlmann

JP Mehlmann

I agree with a number of responses on the difficulty of finding qualified instructors who have the experience and ability to instruct. A good training and mentor programs helps.

Joseph,
Since an instructor must meet or exceed the minimum TWC CSC requirements prior to hire, a training and mentor program may be appropriate for a person who is just shy of meeting the requirements. Such a person could be hired as a lab assistant or teacher assistant, who would work under/with an approved/qualified instructor. The challenge is, prior to allowing this person to teach solo, coming up with a solid variance application to obtain CSC approval.

JP Mehlmann

In studying the rules and regulations I understand that a variance may be applied for if you have an instructor that does not meet all the qualifications as outline in A- H on the Instructors application. For example if an instructor has completed a 900+ clock hour program, but does not have 4 years experience a variance can be submitted.

For a Variance do at least one of the outlined qualifiers have to be met or can a variance still be submitted when none of the qualifiers are met?

Beki,
Please review page 9 of the Instructor Application form (PS-002 which must be submitted). This portion of the PS-002 instructions describes in detail how to complete an instructor application under a variance. I do not see any indication that one or more of the criteria must be met. However and in-part, the application must include: the applicants qualifications must be described in detail; instructor candidate must score 90% or higher on subject(s) to be taught; and the school must commit to submit future student evaluations if the instructor is approved.

JP Mehlmann

Sign In to comment