Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hello Mr. Hammack:

A Variance may be required if you have an experienced applicant with a lot of hands on experience in the field but may not have a formal degree. For example, if an applicant that has been in the military for 20 years and has experience working as a Medic on the battle field should not be eliminated as a viable applicant for a Medical Assistant Instructor.

Also, if that same person has trained other solders in both formal and informal settings, we may need to consider that as teaching experience.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Nicole A. Roberson

Nicole,
Remember that TWC requirements for an instructor is that of experience and education level. So if an applicant has at least 5 years of practical experience within the last ten years and a secondary education, then they can be approved. A variance is disigned to help those who may only have 4 years of experience when they need 5 years experience to still be approved. The variance is not about teaching experience.

I hope you enjoy the study.

Frank

Hello Frank:

Thank you for the clarification.

Nicole A. Roberson

I have never had to submit a variance but I would if perhaps I hired, for example, a former student. Depending on their qualifications, they may not have enough work experience but since I knew them previous and felt confident about placing them in a specific subject, I would do a variance.

Rina,
Remember that a variance is for an instructor that does not fully meet the requirements for instructor approval. TWC will expect someone to at least meet half of the requirements before they will consider approval of a variance. There is a page of instructions in the PS-002 that outlines what needs to be submitted to TWC.

Frank Hammack

The rule staes a instructor candidate must have relevant experience in that field within the last ten years. What if the person has been instructing at another career college for the past few years and haven't worked in the field to meet the 10 years requirement, do they need a variance for approval from TWC?

We had an instructor teach an introduction course to a program and had to request a variance approval because the course had one part that was allied health related.

A varaience can be issued if an instructor may be employeed for several years and learned a new documentable skill or has achieved a higher level of education after the orignal docs have been submited.

This is a great example of when a variance is needed. It seems that a lot of the allied health fields have this potential issue. I know that we run into this with our Dental Assisting program as well.

I agree when someone has alot of experience in a particular skill setting which is specific to the educational learning environment it may be necessary to request a variance for the benefit and contribution to our students.

A circumstance which would require the campus to submit a variance request would be for an individual that has worked for 6 months in the accounting field yet holds a Masters in accounting.

I think this is a great conversation. The only time I have seen a need for a variance is if the new program is an emerging field and universities do not offer an appropriate academic credential. This is when industry experience has to be considered through appropriate documentation.

Kim

The variance is designed for an instructor who does not quite meet the qualification as outlined by TWC, for example, a secondary education and 5 years of practical experience within the last 10 years. So if a person has a secondary education and 4 years of experience they would need to request a variance in order to be approved by TWC to teach. TWC usually requires a person meet at least half of the requirements in order for them to consider a variance. Instructions in how to file for a variance is found on the PS-002, Instructor application.

Hi Robert:

I had never heard of this type of situation and really appreciate looking at the 900 hour requirement. I have never had to manage an MA program either. Thanks for pointing this out. It is a great example.

Kim

What type of documentation might you collect?

Kim

Hi James:

I am not a proponent of a variance because it changes how people think about setting the right level of academic credential and expectations.

Kim

Does a school have to apply for a variance (if applicable) even it is not required to submit instructor applications to TWC?

Steve,
Yes! You must submit the application for a variance to TWC any time one is required. A school is also required to submit the application to TWC if an instructor answers yes to the personal conduct question, 8E.

My answer is that you should submit a variance if the instructor candidate is close but does not immediately meet the TWC guidelines such as 5 years of experience or a bachelors/master's degree, or doesn't have one degree above the program they are teaching.

TWC expects the instructor to meet at least half of the qualifications when submitting a variance.

Sign In to comment