Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One circumstance for submitting a variance to TWC for approval on a prospective instructor would be if the prospect was a high school graduate, completed four years of relevant practical experience, but obtained a certificate of completion from a recognized postdecondary school which required only 600-clock-hours to complete the program. The 300 clock-hour variance could be addressed by including validating documents of associated licenses that the prospect was able to acheive despite completing a shorter program. Medical assistant programs are good examples. After completing a 600 clock-hour program one medical assistant passed the same board exam that another medical assistant passed after completing a 900 clock-hour program.

Gabriel,

Your curcumstance description is the type of situation that indeed is what an Instructor Variance is used for. When used in this fashion, a school is following what the intent for the Instructor Variance is about.

Gerald Parr

An instructor may have the practical and/or real world knowledge along with current IT certifications without a degree. This could happen in the case of Cisco, Citrix, Microsoft, VMware etc.

If I understand your question correctly, I believe it would be needed if the work experience or education was borderline in relation to the subject matter being taught. Are there situations that a person's legal background would require it?

In order to combat the classic dilemma that schools face when searching for qualified faculty, some choose to build a bench of substitutes. When schools scramble to fill vacancies, they often do just that- scramble, and fill open positions with the first qualified candidate that presents themselves. This often leads to dissatisfied students because these instructors may be subject matter experts, but offer no value in terms of classroom management or instruction. While I agree that diluting qualifications may offer hinderences, I believe the closely guarded rules on qualifications offer a different set of problems.

A school located in a rural area or small city with limited employment resources for a particular course may require a request for a variance. I would expect the individual would have to have the basic educational requirements but may not have the required number of years of experience in field.

I was wondering the same about the experience in field, since I would like to consider an individual that has ten years experiece as an instructor. One of the responses answered my question.

Gregory,
You bring up an interesting scenario. Similarly, a school may have difficulty finding instructors who meet all the TWC-CSC requirements in career fields that pay very well for those with experience. I suggest caution when submitting a variance in regard to schools located in rural areas or small cities. If a school claims there are limited employment resources in the area, this could call into question why the school is located in that area or why are they offering programs with limited employment opportunities. The CSC Instructor Application (PS-002 page 9) provides an example of a variance request - it is better to focus on why and how the instructor candidate is otherwise qualified to teach, how this assessment was made, as well as what the school will do to ensure the instructor is effective.

JP Mehlmann

Gregory,
Good point, there are many good responses throughout the discussion thread. Another option is to call your CSC-TWC contact person. They are usually happy to answer questions prior to submitting the paperwork.

JP Mehlmann

I would hope that a variance request is only used when one area of the guidelines for qualification is deficient. For example, if the instructor is deficient in both background and education, no variance should be requested. If they are only deficient in work experience but meet background and edducation requirements a variance would probably be in order.

Don,
I agree that [generally] the fewer the reasons for the variance, the more likely the variance will be approved.
Any variance submission should be the exception for your instructor population. If you feel strongly that an instructor candidate can do the job if their variance is approved, then make the best case you can for that person whether or not the variance is experience-based, education-based, or both.

JP Mehlmann

When the instructor has the education but not the experience in the field he or she wants to teach.

Marilyn ,

It is not uncommon to have an instructor candidate who meets/exceeds the education requirements but does not have the required work experience. Conversely, a candidate could have extensive work experience but be short on education. In either case, a variance is unlikely to be approved if the one criteria that is met, is not significantly above the minimum requirements.

JP Mehlmann

1. Two or more complaints on an instructor within a one year period.

2. Incomplete or no applications available at the school.

3. If the school fails to follw the laws and rules.

Bertha,
The three criteria you describe are pertinent to a different section of the course and the TWC rules. Specifically, [that] schools in good standing need not submit applications but must keep these on file at the school...). Your answers are correct for situations where the school may be required to submit all instructor applications for TWC CSC approval. The forum question asks for situations in which you would submit a "variance" application for an instructor. In other words, a variance request/application is needed when you have an instructor candidate who does not meet the required instructor qualifications per the rules and the application form. Please review Additional Requirements for Specific Instructors in section 1 of the course immediately preceding the quiz and forum question. This section includes that when submitting a variance, the applicant must write a letter to TWC CSC that [among other things] includes: "The current rule requirements in comparison to the applicant's qualifications."

JP Mehlmann

We would have to submit to the TWC that we have found a potential candidate for teaching our curriculum who knows the material inside and out based on the fact that he left a job in our industry and was extremely proficient in his tasks however he has only been in the industry for 3 years. TWC requires 5 years of experience plus a HS diploma or GED.

Brent,
Are you referring to someone who successfully taught in our industry but does not meet the TWC CSC requirements? If so, you may be able to include documentation of successful teaching, such as positive student surveys, graduate passage of certification exams, etc. In any event, you want to be sure to review the variance requirements thoroughly, prior to submission, There are many items that must be included with the request.

JP Mehlmann

In some instances instructors with five years' experience excel without a degree.

Doris,
Yes, that is often true that some instructors excel without a degree. However, instructors in diploma programs at TWC approved schools need not have a degree. The requirements vary by credential offered at your school (as well as by type of program - court reporting, truck driving and other programs have specific requirements- see the TWC regs). The question of what type of situations merit a variance request is something you need to consider when you have a position to fill.

JP Mehlmann

If your program of instruction is geared towards an industry that is seasonal you may have a hard time finding qualified instructors during the season. Example the shut-down/outage season for petrochemical plants or nuclear power employ a lot of qualified people during the season but there is little work at other times. Any instructors I hire during the slow time tend to go back into the field when things ramp back up.

Sign In to comment