Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Transcripts Not accepted

What is the best way to explained to a student that their transcripts are not accepted?

There's no easy way to do this but the best way is to give it to them outright, provided you have a compelling to do so, such as, the school from which they provided the transcript from is not from an approved institute, our the courses on the transcript are not compatible to the offered at your institution.

Tania ,
Definitely after a thorough review. The student needs to understand why the credits did not transfer and the methodology behind it.

Patty Aronoff

Li,

We should be providing solid and accurate information in a timely manner so that the student can make a knowledgeable decision.

Patty Aronoff

Being ethical and upfront and providing this information to a prospect in the beginning of the interaction. Timeliness is critical to a prospect weighing on making a decision to attend or not, based on the transcripts provided. Also, offering the prospect an alternative means, so that they can make a sound decision as to whether the school will be a good fit, and what they would need to do to attend. I recently had a student provide a certificate of completion to attend our school which is not accepted by our institution. The prospect was upset, but I was transparent in my communication, and relayed to her a plan in which she could take adult education classes at a local high school to attain her GED. We remained in contact, and once she attained her diploma, she was able to resume her dream to follow her education in massage.

Caterina,

We appreciate your sharing your story which is one we can learn from greatly. Even though delivering an unexpected outcome, the student was provided guidance to still pursue their dream.

Patty Aronoff

Tania,

When dealing with issues regarding transfer of credits or acceptance of transcripts, I always refer to my institutions catalog. We are very specific regarding the length of time since course completion, the number of credits that can be accepted and the minimum grade requirements for transfer. The transparency that we've been learning about and the focus of this course is the best advice I can give you. Being upfront and honest and is the best policy when giving students unpleasant news. I may not being easy but it does get easier.

Sign In to comment