Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Discussing Salary Potential

A good piece of advice when a prospective student is requesting information on salary potential for a career field they are looking at is having them sit down with the Graduate Placement/Career Services to receive that information. You may also refer them to the website for the Department of Labor Statistics or www.salary.com for further research. As an Admissions Representative, we are not the individuals who compile that data so be leary about what you discuss and be careful not to mislead the individual.

Keri,
Excellent advice! Data provided to the students must be relevant and backed up by reliable sources. Otherwise, it can be very misleading.

I think the key word if verifiable salary information. Since salary is typically collected by cohort, the data can change often throughout the year. As well, what is defined by verifiable. How can an institution verify information? Is it through a student self attestation or employment and salary documentation. In my experience, the Department of Labor and the Workforce Development Boards for your area have the most up to date information for the area. I would recommend that if a student is interested in salary information, the student be referred to their websites. The Occupational Outlook Handbook is a great resource and should be available in the career services office and learning resource center.

When I speak with inquiring people by phone, one thing they ask is can the Admission Representative they are meeting with tell them how much they will be making with our degree, as if they are wanting that figure specifically focusing on our college's degree. It is almost as if they are wanting a 'guarantee' before they even come in to meet with a Representative. This is a primary concern to folks especially wanting an income that will sustain their family's lifestyle while repaying loans. All-in-all, a very sensitive subject especially via phone. It is good to have Keri's & Shannon's input into resources for prospective students. Thank you.

That's true! I have spoken with a number of individuals who become somewhat irate that we cannot quote salaries. There are no guarantees.

I concur with all of you. There is no way that you can guarantee a job, or salaries. This is dangerous territory! However, you must be able to give some sort of information that they can see for themselves.

I agree. I think that having the student compile thier own information regarding the potential salary for thier prospective field of work is essential to developing independence. Having the students do their due diligence is vital to success.

Shannon,
Discussing salaries is a very precarious road. By providing data sources, we are only providing generalized information. What we receive as a employee can vary greatly.

Brenda,
Ah...if there were guarantees. Unfortunately, there are not. We can provide the generalized information from verifiable sources, but it comes down to only what the employer is willing to offer.

MiJung,
The job market is a competitive and dynamic one. There are no guarantees.

Tracy,
By providing reliable and verifiable data sources, students may get an idea of what the profession is paying. But again, so many factors determine one's salary potential.

We believe in directing the student to the correct resource to get the correct information. One of the resources we use is our accrediting commissioner in addition to the dept of labor statistics. In turn will always protect you by not giving a number from a compliance perspective

Jenna,
Students need to be reminded that these are only data sources and not guaranteed amounts. Only what an employer is willing to pay is the true figure.

I advise all students asking for salary information to go on-line and google "SALARY FOR ______" in Miami, FL. This will provide them the most up-to-date competative salaries out there at this time.

Michelle,
Always remind students that it really comes down to what an employer is willing to pay.

I think you should definately use the department of labor for your answers, this gives the baseline wage so your students arent upset about making the $9 hourly wage when they get out, they know up front

I believe that it might be easier to get information from graduates that are willing to share this type of information with your students. I know that our graduates are very enthusiastic and open to sharing this information with our students. Trying to get verifiable information is key and I know that talking to recent graduates, working in the industry,would be a good way to approach the discussion of salary potential.

Lori,
Unfortunately, employers will only pay what they can offer albeit any stats we provide.

Sergio,
Good advice.

Student also need do their own research for salary.

Sign In to comment