Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Discussing Financial Aid

The Financial Aid section was rather vague on the rules and regulations from a compliancy standpoint on what we are able to discuss and what we aren't able to discuss. In addition, what questions we are not permitted to ask them in an interview including salary history, dependency related questions, etc. I was under the idea that Admissions Representatives weren't permitted to elaborate on some of the financial aid topics. I've always referred them to the "all-knowing" Financial Aid Representatives to ensure that they receive the most accurate information and avoid anything remotely close to eligibility questions.

Any further clarification available?

Each school can determine what Admissions Reps can or cannot say in response to Financial Aid. I prefer a simple explanation of the difference between a loan and a grant and leave all the particulars to the FA experts. The rules pertinent to FA can change on a day-to-day basis so the safest practice in my mind is to leave the answering of students' questions to them.

Each school can determine what Admissions Reps can or cannot say in response to Financial Aid. I prefer a simple explanation of the difference between a loan and a grant and leave all the particulars to the FA experts. The rules pertinent to FA can change on a day-to-day basis so the safest practice in my mind is to leave the answering of students' questions to them.

Keri,
It is best to leave all financial aid questions to the Financial Aid Department. With the climate today, students need to hear it from them.

I completely agree with your responses in regards to referring questions to the Tuition Assistance Departments. That has always been my thought when it comes to questions relating to anything other than the basic question on how do people pay for school.

Kenneth,
Your post is definitely a best practice for all admissions reps.

I agree with Kenneth. Our staff refers to all questions about Financial Aid, Grants, Loans etc. by stating "We have Financial Aid for those who qualify." We refer all detailed questions to our Financial Aid Department for clarification.

Keri,
It is a best practice to leave financial aid to the experts.

Frederick,
Excellent advice!

Yes, it is best to allow your Financial Aid Department to discuss this section. However, the Financial Aid Video is most informative for your student prior to their meeting the Financial Aid Rep.

Judy,
As admissions representatives, caution is always exercised when discussing financial aid. Good advice to send them to the experts.

Patty-

Much like Keri,I was under the same understanding that Admissions Reps are not the best prepared or knowledgeable on loans and grants and should not discuss during the admission process. Is it a better practice just to provide an overview of the TITLE IV and non TITLE IV programs we have to offer? My concern with discussing non Title IV programs is that often times programs change and they are no longer offered. Is there a way you can discuss such programs with out specifics in the admission appointment and leave the technical information to the financial aid staff?

Shannon,
The best practice is to state that financial aid is available for those who qualify (based on the assumption that your school offers Title IV.) Then, refer the client to the Financial Aid rep.

I do agree that it is best to leave those questions with the Financial Aid Department. It can become a "slippery slope" very quickly when an admissions adviser tries to answer too many questions in regards to financial aid. Years ago, they would tell an admissions representative that you may review anything that is located/printed in the school catalog and/or "The annual Guide to Federal Student Aid". Poor communications occur and students sometimes have "selective" hearing. In the climate we are in right now, I refer all financial aid questions to the Financial Aid Department.

Mark,
Excellent advice in your posting.

I agree. Let the experts on Financial Aid answer the detailed questions. They are the ones that know all the changes happening on a daily basis. That is why they are FAO'S. They have the qualifications and proper information to best serve the students.

I truly believe that in some cases students do hear what they want to hear. And when it comes to information regarding how they will qualify for Financial Aid it is best to "leave it to the financial aid experts". Just as we are trained on specifics of how we present information in admissions and our processes, they have similar standards. If we in admissions are not trained on the specifics of financial aid, why should we be having an in depth conversation and assume what they may qualify for. A brief explaination of what we offer should be covered and any further questions that that student has we should tell them to save those questions for the experts as we don't want to misinform them.

Jamie,
Very good advice. Thank you for your posting.

Angelica,
It is so important to direct the students to FA.

I agree 100% with that statement. Financial aid is best to leave to the financial aid officers.

Sign In to comment