Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Faculty Performance Consideration | Origin: OP121

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Managing Online Faculty at a Distance --> Faculty Performance Consideration

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The courses will include a combination of synchronous and asynchronous learning. The OFM will visit the new instructor's class within the first 30 days to provide feedback and coaching. Faculty will have a annual development plan to broaden their online teaching skills and abilities.

Have tools to implement a plan that perpetually maintains an online faculty executing a high level of instructional performanceMotivating instructors with consistent and frequent feedback on their performance is a strong component of laying the foundation for high performance

The course provides a substantive information that focus on monitoring compliance of instructional practices that will promote effective feedback and performance. It is evident in the course that importance of varied evaluation feedback practices such as 30 day evaluation for new hire, quarterly course evaluations, and annual evaluation.

Learning that "Focusing on predictive indicators of positive outcomes is much more likely to provide insights for the improvement of online instruction"  was a great take away for me.  It is easy to dump out data but the focus should be broader quantitative and qualatative to provide quality insight and growth for an instructor.  

Online instruction is an effective way for many courses/subjects. Switching to this mode during the pandemic really put it to the test where it has been uncertain how effective it can be. I feel understanding the LMS is very critical. 

One thing that stands out to me here is the idea of focusing on a faculty member's performance right now. What is happening now is what matters, not how they performed 6 months ago.

We are currently on the process of transitioning from a full on-ground to hybrid or blended program. So far, in regards to faculty performance consideration, it's almost the same as on-ground. There will be some learning curve. Everyone is new including myself so training is very important. Evaluation is next for everyone to know if they are meeting the requirements of an LMS teaching environment. The modification of the teaching environment due to some restrictions during the pandemic helped with the transition to both students and faculty. Everyone had a taste of a remote teaching and learning environment. 

I liked the idea of using your LMS to provide notifications to instructors, administrators, and students.  We do this currently as a communication tool, but I would like to find a way of using it to review instructor behaviors and teaching methods in the course as well as how affective the assignments/activities are helping the students to succed in the course.  Has anyone done this or uses something like this at their college/university?

Regression analysis and scheduling time whether to talking to instructors and admnistrators. Getting the right kind of feedback is all helpful when it comes to making everything run smoothly. 

Both quantitative and qualitative measurements need to be implace with a focus on what made students successful rather than what went wrong.

My biggest takeaway is early intervention. You want to assess the faculty's progress early on in their implementation. As you see areas of improvement, it is critical to relay that information to consistently deliver a high level of education. Giving different types of feedback will help the instructor improve for future courses. 

Monitoring online instruction is very important to achieve high level performance from instructors. Focusing on positive behaviors and providing on time feedback is important to make any corrective actions effectively. 

I learned about the qualitative and quantitative indicators, I think is very useful and should be used in an online stting if not being used already.

This module offered a lot of insight into how to track instructor performance in delivering quality education in an online classroom. My biggest takeaway is to focus on the behaviors of effective instructors who create positive change and growth in their classrooms, rather than focusing on what is negatively impacting student performance. It was also interesting to learn that the "best practices" used in online classrooms over a decade were not found to be highly effective. I believe this is becuase too much focus was placed on quantiative alaysis of instructors and not enough focus on the qualitative analysis. Every industry has to start somewhere and I feel with new technologies coming around, and the rapid changes we've seen since 2020, tracking instructor performance and gauging effective behaviors in online environments will continue to grow and expand positively. 

This course has opened my eyes to better ways of evaluating our onlne instructors.  We have been using the traditonal method of measing lagging and negative outcomes.  We will now look at ways to collect data on successful online courses and determine what leads to a success online teaching environment and apply it to other classes.  Also measure qualitative information to provide feedback to instructors.

Evaluating the effectiveness of the online faculty and student learning can be calculated by reviewing new instructors within 30 days of the class start and on a quarterly basis for continuing instructors..ollecting date that shows students have been successful can be used to improve course activities.

It is important to implement a plan that maintains a high level of faculty performance. These can be automated. 

When monitoring online instruction, it is important to consider multiple approaches

This course provided me with practical tools for monitoring online instructions.

Sign In to comment