Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Informal orientation, from now on we are going to to the formal orientation and all this great techniques to increase our instructors retention

A full 8-hour day training including review of employee expectations, faculty expectations, policies and procedures *BREAK* Curriculum and instructor expectations in the classroom, administratively and communication with leadership team (Chair/Dean)*SCHOOL TOUR* *Q&A* *LUNCH* Review classroom equipment and how to use. *BREAK* Scneario based training (1st in-service... ALL instructors required to attend... not just the new ones.

We have an extensive Orientation process that includes a checklist of items. These are:
- detailed tour of the school and facilitites,
- review of equipment and supplies,
- review of curriculum materials,
- review of policies and procedures,
- question and answer period,
- etc.

The Orientation process leads into the Training process where there is a more detailed and ongoing process of educating and supporting the new instructor in policies, procedures, educational materials, equipment, teaching and classroom management skills, etc. We also continue to train the new instructor in administrative requirements and procedures.

All of the above listed components of the Orientation and Training process are vital to the success and performance of the instructor.

At my school, it is broken up into sections because most of the time instructors work other jobs and will not be able to commit to hours of one day orientation.

Expectations, policies & procedures, and curriculum and coursework are discussed once they have accepted the position. (We have already gone over the tour and introductions to those who were present that day.)

Follow-up meetings in person and further orientation take place before the term begins. I will accept all paperwork instructor brought home to complete, and more time to discuss what they have gone over for the new class.

At this point I am whittling down the formal orientation of the campus procedures and focusing more on what the instructor will need to know for their class. Questions are raised and further expectations are discussed (grading, submitting paperwork to the Edu dept, etc.)

Instructor by now feels comfortable coming back a couple of times, gets familiar with myself and my staff, as well as getting to speak to other instructors. If there is any peer mingling I try to encourage it so new hires feel comfortable by the start of the new term.

Carolyn,

Great approach. Thanks for sharing this.

Jeffrey Schillinger

An effecetive orientation program is one that balances an introduction to the institution's mission and culture, understanding of job responsibilities and practical hands-on training with available resources, especially technology and processes, etc. A key component to the orientation is introductions to key administrators and colleague instructors.

New Instructors at our institution receive a formal onboarding orientation where company policies and procedures are discussed and employee HR checklist are completed and reviewed. I feel the tour is a crucial component of the orientation process.

Shannon,

Do you ever have new faculty members shadow some of your better faculty members?

Jeffrey Schillinger

You want to make sure the instructor gets everything needed to teach the course, understands the rule and regulations of the campus and what your expectation are for them has a new instructor.

Troy,

How do you ensure teacher has all he or she needs by the time he or she is in the classroom the first time?

Jeffrey Schillinger

The orientation is very standard the employee handbook, and a tour to meet the other employees.

Patricia,

You have not really answered the question here. WWhat are some of the specific components of your orintation program? How doess the orientation for faculty members differ from the orientation for employees who do not teach?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I will let the Instructor shadow a senior Instructor prior for them to teach in class

There are a couple of orientation processes that take place. On the first day of work, I usually take the instructor and give them a tour, show them where things are located, where the classrooms are and their office, talk about the subjects they will be teaching and show them the files and things as such. They always have mandatory orientation that they must complete on line that is usually scheduled at a certain time, so we work around it. Then we sit and discuss important things such as evaluations of students, make sure they have the books they need and have everything that is necessary for them to do their job.

New instructors recieve training as well as a handbook with policies and procedures -- which are reviewed in the training. The new instructors work with the education manager and sit in classes to observe the seasoned teachers.

We spend the first day going over policy and prcedures.We then break out and do a tour of campus. The second day with introduce the new teacher to staff, classroom, and lab facilities. We try to give the new teacher some time to become familiar with the materail to be taught. This system works pretty well.

Sign In to comment