Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New instructors first spend some time with our HR assistant going over general administrative matters and reviewing the employee handbook. Then they meet with the Director of Education where they are introduced to the faculty handbook, take a more detailed tour of the facility and throughout the next few days participate in a new instructor orientation which includes best teaching methods. After this the new instructor shadows more senior instructors while getting acclimated to our curriculum before taking over a class of their own.

Michael,

The shadowing is a great idea. What are the "best teaching methods" that you focus on for new teachers?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Here are a few - Arrive in the class 5 minutes before students, have objectives on the board, greet students with a smile and welcome, review objectives from last lesson before going on, don't just lecture and never ask "anyone have any questions" to check progress - always ask content specific questions.

Having the new hire shadow in the classroom a few times is effective. This gives them a good insight to how class is run and what expectations will be asked of them.

Our orientation is a week long process with introduction to policies and proceedures, faculty introductions and school tour on the first day. Instructors are given their new hire package, oriented on that package and then asked to be a Teachers Assistant for the first 5 weeks to appreciate the hands on execution of the policies and proceedures.

All faculty members must complete the orientation. In an Orientation new faculty get a General Overview of the School, Curricula, Projects, Review Process. As well as Faculty members must also audit a class prior to teaching.

I try to work with my instructors one-on-one so they know what it is the campus is expecting from them. I like to also have them work with other instructors so they understand the curriculum and how to lay out lesson plans, time management and overall procedures during their class time.

Currently, most of our newer lead instructors have started out as teaching assistants so they are already acclimated to the work environment and general expectations. That said, I believe we could increase our effectiveness with instructors by having a better process. This would include:
1. Introduction to or review of policies, procedures and general expectations.
2. Formal training on any new equipment, our computer system and programs/software used.
3. Tour of the space and introductions to the staff.
4. Ample time for questions the new instructor might have.
5. Discussion of resources, including myself, and how best to access them.

We do a two-part orientation process. Part I is filling out paperwork, reviewing schedule and curriculum, as well as a guided tour and introduction to staff. Part II is going over the faculty handbook, going over policy/procedure, as well as a training session on the technology used in the classroom. Properly setting the stage is a crucial component of any orientation program.

Crystal,

You may want to consider asking new hires to sit in on a few courses taught by more experiences faculty members. It can be very effective.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Right now there are no formal orientation. We are looking to create a formal on-boarding process which would include training, observation, continuing education, and formal review process.

Theodore,

We have found asking new faculty members to observe good teachers to be very effective.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I will be hiring my first full-time employee next week and I have developing her orientation plan. I think an effective orientation plan provides direction and detailed planning while leaving room for flexibility. Allowing the new instructor to meet with other faculty, students, administration, student affairs, etc. and ask questions. It takes time to become familiar with the technology, curriculum, and teaching aides. The process requires feedback and a development plan with clear expectations of the job description and ongoing support for the new instructor.

At my school new instructors receive orientation via paperwork and also via watching another instructor (shadowing for a day or 2 if need be)

Roselyn,

This is a pretty common approach that usually yields good results. One institution put together a pretty detailed online course that went over the school's history, culture, policies, etc. It worked well.

Jeffrey Schillinger

New faculty are given guidelines, an employment handbook and a verbal review of guidelines from their supervisor. Then, classroom training is given to acclimate the faculty member to the curriculum and students. The length of classroom training is dependant on need and faculty member's level of comfort, usually lasting 1-2 weeks before they are "on their own".

Our new instructors start their employment during the last two weeks of the academic term prior to actually teaching themselves. They have a thorough two-day orientation with the Education Director and Department Chair...usually split equally at one day for each. This also includes a two hour initial session with the HR Department to ensure that benefits and policies are fully explained. The new instructor will then shadow and experienced faculty member in their department.

The first two days are most important for the new employee to have a sense of "family" or "belonging" as a member of the team. I believe this has more to do with ensuring longevity than any other post hiring activity.

Ken

If I hire a group of new instructors I will do a group orientation class that covers policies and procedures, etc in a classroom and review the job expectations from the interview. Typically this is an opportunity for people to meet and get to know each other. If I hire one at a time I try to introduce them to as many people as possible on the first day and allow time for a thorough one-on-one orientation.

Ashlyn,

What are two or three of the most important things you cover in your orientation (other than policies that keep you in compliance)?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Our orientation is more informal/question answer session. I have outlined their responsibilities and we use the time to tour the campus, fill out paperwork and review duties, policies and procedures. We typically are only hiring one instructor at a time.

Sign In to comment