Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We give a tour of the facility and explain the culture in which we operate after the presentation. We also designate a time for the instructor to come back in to set up a time for them to do a classroom observation with one of our instructors, get all of their teaching materials, go over the portals, etc. We use the actual orientation to fill out all of the paperwork.

Thanks, Billy. I appreciate your participation in all of the ED201 discussion forums.

we aslo have been bringing the instructors in early to follow others in class, teach them about grading, policies and other reporting responsibilities.

We give the new hire a quite comprehensive orientation on their first day to work at our school. First of all get them familiar with our environment by touring them around showing them the teaching equipment they can get access to and talk to group of faculty members in our conference room. He or she is most welcome to sit in any of the classes. The new instructor will get copies of our school catalog, faculty handbook, and a clinic manual where all the school policies and procedures listed including their expectations and benefits. A copy of the syllabus of the course he or she is teaching will be also given and all the necessary documents are signed and copied. We also let the new hire know that our school offers CEU courses for the license renewal. One of the benefits is they don't have to pay for these courses. All these components are crucial.

I bring them to the classroom they will be teaching in and introduce them to the other instructor(s) they will be working with within the same department. I show them the curriculum binders they will be using, the visual aids we use. The same day I call a staff meeting and introduce the new hire to the rest of the staff.

Jeff,

There may be more things that you can do to orient a new faculty member. I recommend you read through some of the more recent posts in this section for ideas.

All faculty members must complete the individual faculty orientation. Attend four online training sessions:

1. General Overview of the School -- History, Mission, Culture, Policies and Procedures
2. Curricula and Projects
3. Research and Benchmarking
4. Juried Review Process

Faculty members must also audit a class prior to teaching.

My school has a multiple orientation process. The first orientation is in two parts and takes place prior to starting the quarter, The first half is a combination of academic applications and processes and the second half deals with the administrative processes such as human resource applications such as rules, regulations, payroll and benefits. The second orientation process deals with the overall company coulture, policies and procedures, opportunities and resources available to new employees. Each of these sessions are extreamly helpful to the new instructor or employee and sets the stage for effective operations and future growth.

I normally like to have the instructors come by the school before the students are in session and while they are in class. I introduce them to the staff and students, let them sit in on a class that I am teaching and try to fill them in on the learning styles of each of the students. I have a small school, so the instructor gets to know the students quickly. All of the staff will pitch in and help the new instructor get settled into their new position.

Our orientation process was recently revamped and I think it is really helping new faculty become assimilated. From the time and instructor signs their offer letter to the day they actually start teaching, it can be 4-6 weeks. During this time they usually meet with the Program Director to go over her expectations of them in the classroom and many of the schools policies on attendance, grading, etc. Then, sometimes on another day, I will meet with them to go over their specific assignments and give them the syllabi, books and other resources they may need. Throughout this process I am always checking in with them via phone or email to ensure that all their questions are being answered. Then they usually meet with the Office Manager who handles all new hire paperwork, payroll, etc. If time and the schedule permits I will have the new instructor sit in on a faculty meeting and a class they will be teaching.

Since not all instructors teach theory classes with grades, we usually don’t introduce the grading system or grade entry system until they are assigned a class. Also, some items I will touch on in our first meeting and then re-iterate through email or at another time to ensure that it is fully understood.

The first several days on the job are crucial in the success of new employees.
Orientation training should emphasize the following topics:

The company's history and mission.

The key members in the organization.

The key members in the department, and how the department helps fulfill the mission of the company.

Personnel rules and regulations.

These are all good points, Ligia. Thank you for sharing them.

We usually set a day for new teacher orientation . They are introduced to everyone, tour of the school, someone comes in talks to them about benefits, etc, introduced to team leads and other teachers, go over procedures and expectations.
Time for questions and answers, they get their login id's.

That same week we begin professional development training.

Elaine,

Some of your peers ask new instructors to come in and sit in on classes before the new term begins. What do you think of this idea?

Jeffrey Schillinger

We use a comprehensive orientation program. We have instructors come in as a group and we review the catalog, policies and procedures, operations, classrrom management, etc. Books, curriculum, knowledge of proper attendance submission and other various tools for preparation are important. Occasionally instructors are put in classrooms without proper orinetation and when that happens they seem never to be fully caught up. This leads to turnover. We also assign mentors , experienced instructors, for the new hires to reach out to with questions as well.

They get a full tour of building, intro to equipment, meet staff and faculty. They tend to do some days shadowing other instructors and getting a feel for how the classroom is run and managed. They also attend trainings in areas they will teach with feedback.

Anyone who teaches in our program has spend one full term of the course they are to teach, mentoring with a more experienced teacher. The lead teacher is paid a small stipend to provide an average of 1/2 hour/week towards orienting the new teacher both in content, classroom management and administrative policies/procedures.

Once they are contracted to begin teaching, they are provided further orientation with the Director of Education and the Dean of Students.

In the first term of their teaching we provide them with a "first term teacher mentor" who also is paid a small stipend to devote an average of 1/2 hour per week to support them through their first term.

I think that familiarity and synchrony with the school culture and philosophy, academic and administrative policies and procedures and sufficient comfort within the community are the crucial elements of an effective orientation program.

We probably are similar with alot of the comments that have been made. We do make a point of walking them through the campus after they have gone over curriculum and introduce them to the staff and what their responsibilities are. We meet as a staff on Friday mornings and formally introduce the new member.

We offer multiple level of orientation for new instructors that seems to help them transition into their new roles. We have a formal orientation and an informal one, as well as setting up times to check in especially in the first 6-8 weeks. It is crucial that instructors are aware of the reasons why we have certain policies or procedures. For example, if an instructor knows that we track attendance in order comply with federal regulations that are directly tied with the schools ability to receive federal funding it is better than just telling them to track attendance and have them assume the reasons.

Once an offer is made and excepted there are several steps in the orientation process. First, curriculum materials...syllabi, lesson plans, manuals and or books for the courses they will be teaching or assisting in is given to the new instructor. Second, a day to complete new hire paperwork. "Official" tour of facility, where things are stored, kept, how to find additional teacher resources, how to access e-mail, how to complete payroll/timesheets. Third, names of faculty that are teaching the same courses or assistants are given the name and phone number of their lead instructor to get together. Follow up meeting with new hires to see how they are acclimating to school and teaching being able to answer their questions.
I like the idea of more formal days for orientation but hiring of new instructors is usually one at a time. However, when our school added a new location and I did hire 4 new instructors we had 2, 3 hour orientations to help acclimate all to new material and administrative expectations.

Sign In to comment