Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lessons learned from the Principal Story

What was the most important point you learned in The Principal Story? Why?

The Principal Story really inspired me. Their personal passion and ability to influence their staff and employes is what make them true leaders in their schools and communities. The major point I learned from the story was that change does not happen over night but if you have the right leaders motivating everybody for that goal and keep everybody working together you can reach it. As well as continue and keep it going even if you leader leaves your followers and the situation itself. This inspired me to lead the way they did and have a positive effect on the lives of my own followers.

Yes, The Principal Story is definitely inspirational! Thank you for sharing what you learned from it. I'm curious though, how specifically will you lead like they did? What will you do differently than you have in the past before watching this video?

I really enjoyed the Principal Story. Not only did it inspire me, but it also reminded me of many important qualities a leader must have to impact change. For example hard work, commitment, passion, setting the example, providing coaching and positive feedback and encouragement to motivate and influence their staff. I think change can only happen when everybody is working together toward the same goal. One of the principals actually went out into the community to introduce herself to the families and parents. This really showed that she cared and it set an example to her staff. I think all of them supported her vision and worked with her to achieve change and successful results. I was impressed.

I learned that there is much more to great leadership than just having a strong personality. Its nessasary to couple caring, direction and passion, along with the ability to transfer these ideas and emtotions over to your colleages to work as a sucessful team.

I learned that it is just as important for your staff to be on board with the direction that you are going toward. You cannot do it yourself, it not only takes your staff, but the students, and their families also. Having guidelines to follow and being able to have support from your staff and your administration. To believe in what you are doing, to believe that what you are doing will make an impact in someone's life.

Lise, this is a great point. In order to be a leader, one must have followers. I'm curious, what steps will you take in order to ensure that you have the "buy-in" from others?

Dr. Jean Norris

The emotional connection felt as important as the data in the Principal story. The bonds forged with emotional attachments help to nurture relationships that the data could quantify when looking for results. One without the other would have yielded a much different outcome.

Nice ideas Brian. Being able to successfully build a relationship with someone involves a level of trust and the ability to connect.

Dr. Jean Norris

The Principal Story is a great example of the Interactional Framework"--the Situations are different, the Leaders are different, and the Followers are different. Each has its own success story based on how the Leader, Folowers, and Situation interacted to show improvements at both schools.

know the situation, personnel and resources. create and implement a comprehensive strategic plan.

Great observations Richard. How will this video specifically impact your actions?

Dr. Jean Norris

Although you may be the leader if you have no followers then who are you leading. Having your staff on board is critical in creating the type of environment needed for success.

Troy

I could not agree with you more passion has to be apart of the success of the leader.

Troy,
Great minds think alike huh? :)
Dr. Jean Norris

Having passion, a heart and serving was reinforced for me. I've been telling my staff and teachers that we are here to serve our students. We have knowledge and experience that they don't have and what we give will make them successful.

The school I'm currently working had 5 previous leaders. When I arrived there was much resistance from the teachers. After 2 months of working and following through with the promises I made to the staff and teachers I had their buy-in. They now trust me and know what I say is what I will do. I also get my hands dirty. I'm not just sitting in my office dictating but I'm involved in their daily activities. After a year, which is this year, our school had the highest retention, enrollments and placements. My staff and faculty thanked me for being firm, for teaching them, for having their back, for motivating them to be the best.

I gained their trust, taught team work and served not only the staff and faculty but the students.

Michele,
That is so true. Thank you for sharing.

Dr. Jean Norris

Michele,
WOW! What an amazing accomplishment. For most leaders it's about doing, not directing. Great job and thank you for sharing this in the forum!

Dr. Jean Norris

Hello Dr. Norris,
The most important point that I learned is that if you do not possess the passion and desire for your “JOB" more importantly your "LIFE WORK" then it will not work. As a leader if you do not have the passion it will be the preverbal leading a horse to water, but can’t make them drink scenario. Followers must believe that their leader has just as much, if not more vested in the journey.

Sign In to comment