Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Where do you lead more?

Do you tend to lead more out of the office or in the office?

I believe that I emerge as a leader at the office and in my personal life. I tend to get involved and take on that role, many times so someone else does not have to. I tend to treat personal and work problems the same and take an approach to find a solution. In these cases, becoming a leader is required, sitting back and letting someone else handle things doesn't always provide results.

Awesome awareness to have about your style, Christine. I get the sense that you are considerate of others needs when looking at a situation and making sure that they feel their needs are met in the solutions you offer. Would you agree? How do you help those closest to you (professionally or personally) develop thier leadership style?

I tend to lead more in the office since I manage a large department of over 40 part-time and 5 full-time employees. However, I do lead in my family environement as well at times. With 3 children and two working parents you do need to use leadership skills to run your home efficiently. I've found that being organized and managing time well helps a lot. Also letting my kids learn and grow from mistakes has benefited them. These skills that have developed in the office have helped me at home and in turn have helped my family.

You're a busy woman, Jeannine. Thank you for sharing your observations! Isn't it amazing when you see how what you do professionally applies to your personal life too? You mentioned that you tend to lead more when you are in the office. How does your leadership style vary in the office vs. out of the office?

It is amazing. My leadership style in the office is usually a pacesetter style I would say. At home I tend to be a bit more emotional in leading....

I imagine it would be difficult to not be emotional in your leadership at home, especially when dealing with your loved ones! It sounds like you have a great awareness of how you choose to lead in the various areas of your life, which is awesome, Jeannine!

I tend to lead more at work as its my job to provide answers and direction for my staff. Outside of work I prefer to offer suggestions and lead if a situation either is at a standstill or someone requires some help.

Brian, thanks for sharing your personal experience here. It looks like you choose to lead when the situations present itself.

Dr. Jean Norris

I lead more at work but I also lead at home. Even with my family members being 5; my teenagers are very active in leadership roles within their school activities which requires me to be the mom who assist them in developing and being part of the activity to help it grow. It can be overwhelming but it's all worth it especially when you see growth. My staff and faculty are also growing and being an example, one who is transparent,both at work and at home our school and home life has grown and will continue to grow.

Michele,
That is so great to hear. Keep up the positive attitude. What are some of your leadership tactics, both for at work and at home?

Dr. Jean Norris

I definitely lead more in the office than in my community. I feel that my position gives me the authority and also the obligation to lead. In the community I do a lot of volunteer work but I don't always feel comfortable taking on a leadership role.

Heather,
Thank you for sharing this in the forum. What do you think would make you more comfortable taking a leadership role in your community?
Dr. Jean Norris

I definitely lead more in the office. I am responsible for a busy nursing program and have to make decisions about the program and the students several times a day. By the time I get home in the evening, I do not want to be in charge any more!

Audrey, I think we all can appreciate that feeling! Thank you for sharing.
Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment